General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What MPG and HP increasing devices NOT to buy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 05:27 PM
jamielfowler

Default RE: What MPG and HP increasing devices NOT to buy!

Octane increases milage. No BS!!
Old 08-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Correction: Using the correct octane maximizes fuel economy. Higher octane fuel actually doesn't burn as easy as lower octane fuel, which leads to a loss of fuel mileage in an engine not designed for higher octane fuels.
ORIGINAL: jamielfowler

Octane increases milage. No BS!!
Old 09-09-2007, 09:46 AM
FC

What about BG 44K? An engine tester (ex father-in-law) swore by the stuff. Says it cleans carbon and deposits. I've used it in the past, but can't verify what it does since I don't tear down engines. Hard to find the stuff, and it's not cheap. Opinions on the product?
Old 10-03-2007, 09:15 PM
bill_w
1st Gear Member

Well there's a reason why Barnum thought there was one born every minute... These companies have preyed on the un/missinformed public and will continue to do so. Being in an independent shop environment for quite some time, I had my share of customers bring in MPG savers on their high mileage, unmaintained vehicles... I installed none. Some went off in a huff, but were back shortly to get routine work done. Needless to say they were much happier and even more grateful.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:35 AM
blkdog457

Hi Guy's
Just got a new 07 v-6 I would like to know what the best dual exhaust(full system). Or any other exhaust mod that won't void my warranty.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:35 PM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

wow, this stuff theyre selling sounds absolutely ridiculous. haha i like the one that will increase gas milage by 300%
Old 05-09-2008, 07:24 PM
S10

what about the Turbonator is it a good one to get
Old 06-09-2008, 12:45 AM
dragmatrix

Interesting info on the web about the high mileage devices, this site, this thread in particular, is one of the top hits received on my google search for "high mileage device".

I've read most of the posts here, I have to say that the posts didn't start off very positive... Not much real world first hand statistical facts to go along w/ all of the negative comments about the devices... As in hardly anyone that posted seemed to've actually used any devices personall, and virtually NO posts had any facts to back up any of the results. Facts such as mileage before and after device use. Most 'facts' were basically seat of the pants feel as far as performance and nothing about actual gas mileage.

I've bought and created many devices PERSONALLY and have empirical evidence and facts as far as how most of the devices tested actually performed as far as fuel mileage is concerned. Wasn't going for the performance (POWER) side of it...

I don't sell any devices, I'm just a user and an inventor.

Using the Engine Ionizer, my girlfriend's truck went from 260 miles per tank to 320 miles per tank. Her's is a 98 Chev ext. cab truck w/ a 350 automatic 2 wheel drive, 100K miles or so on it, running 87 octane... Picked my first ionizer up at SEMA in Vegas a couple a years ago... That's a 23% gain in mpg. The Ionizer people and documentation claim up to a 30% gain.

I literally pulled over on the side of the road into a gas station and installed the thing right after leaving Vegas. Later on, I had removed the device from my girlfriends truck and installed it on my truck (96 chev Z71 4X4 350 auto) and my girlfriend knew when I'd removed it due to her getting her crappy 260 miles per tank again! I wouldn't tell her that I'd removed it, yet she knew anyways because of her mileage! Interesting indeed! Can ya say BLIND test? THAT'S the way to do a MPG test is to NOt tell the recipient about the device install and see if they notice! TOO COOL!

One of the vehivles I currently drive is an 02 V6 Stang automatic, had 12K miles when I started driving it last year, currently has about 26K or so on it, I've recorded about every fillup and how many miles I got from each tank so far and have JUST installed a brand new Engine Ionizer on it and have the very first 100 miles on this tank w/ the ionizer installed and stock EVERYTHING else on the car, no Cold air intake, no air dams, no other devices...

I'm about to enter all of my fuel mileage data into a spreadsheet up to this point and will log the new data(Post Engine Ionizer install) as I accumulate it.

Oh yes, I also use a Scan Gauge I, which shows up to 12 different engine readouts, mpg, Inlet air temp, coolant temp, gallons per hour used, etc... Cost $129 including S&H back in Oct 2005... They now have a Scan Gauge II out... Is pretty accurate too.

Current gas mileage on the stang is about 24 mpg, will have more specific and accurate mpg numbers after I enter all of my data into the spreadsheet and get the results.

I've also just ordered 2 more ionizers just tonight! Both are going to my girlfriend's in Louisiana, she'll be installing the ionizer on her 94 chevy ext cab truck 350 auto 100K+, and will be meeting me in Shreveport, LA this week and then driving from there to Waco and Houston and we'll see how the ionizer does on her truck as well! Should be about 14+ hour drive round trip. The other ionizer's probably going on my 96 truck for starters anyways... Will let ya'll know how all that goes as well!

GREAT forum! I look forward to reading a LOT more threads soon!

Have a GREAT and HIGH GAS MILEAGE SUMMER!!

Sincerely,

Todd...
02 Stang V6, auto
96 Chev Z71 350, auto
75 Vette, 383, 4 speed.
70 Dodge Superbee, 440, auto, 4.10's