General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help !!!! blown up ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 11:32 PM
94 Stang

Default Help !!!! blown up ?

Hi all
just found this place
My daughter and I own a 1994 Mustang convertible. The car has 100K on it now.
Last week while the wife and I were on vacation my daughter ran the car hot too the point it shut off.
She had it towed to my house.
When I tried to fill it up with water it started pouring water off the back of the drivers side head. I jacked the car up and check for the source of the leak. I found that a freeze plug was missing off the back of the head. I plug the leak and continued to fill the radiator.
I found no more leaks. I checked the oil and the level was normal no water was present. I tried to start the car. When the engine turned over it forced water out the radiator in a two-foot tall stream. I checked the exhaust to see if water was being force out the tail pipe and could not find a trace of water. Some how air from the cylinders is being force into the cooling system. I'm guessing that the heads/gasket are probably toast. This weekend I'll pull the plugs and check the plug for stem cleaning and run an compression test to determine if there is any.
I guess what I need to know is how resilient are these 3.8 motors. I don't want to rebuild the top end of engine to find out the bottom end is weak.
What have I missed as far as trouble shooting?
Is there a way to check the lower end with out pulling the engine?
Thanks for any information.
A frustrated Dad.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:39 PM
Jglisson
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Help !!!! blown up ?

1. Don't ever let your daught drive you car again.

2. If you are lucky you have a blown headgasket and not a cracked or warped head. You could cut corners and do a compression test to find out which head has the blown gasket. You will know it when you hear air coming through the coolant recovery tank.

3. If the motor will turn over then you shouldn't have any bottom end damage at all. Pull the heads and go from there.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:39 PM
Jglisson
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Help !!!! blown up ?

Actually...dont' waste your time. Those motors are a dime a dozen. Hit the junkyard.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:59 AM
94 Stang

Default Thanks Jeremiah

. Jeremiah,
Thanks you for your response.
I guess that a used engine is probably the fastest / easiest / best option. But that never stopped me before . I’ll pull the plugs and due a compression / leak down test this weekend and go from there. If the motor is fried I’ll have to decide which way to go.
I’ll start calling around the salvage yards today to see if they have one advalible.
My wife and I were vacationing at Amelia Island / Fernandina Beach when my daughter blew the engine. I was at the Navy base in Mayport 1981-1984. Paradise is the best way to describe Fernandina Beach. We used to go across the ferry to Fernandina Beach all the time.
Thanks again
Don