Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > General Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by NewTakeOff

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 12-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
Menocar

Vehicle: 1999, Ford, Mustang Convertible
Question 1999 Convertible driveline vibration

I just bought this 1999 Mustang Convertible, V6 automatic. When I get to 50 MPH a vibration occurs that can be felt through the seats. It's a low frequency rumble that is from 50 to 60 MPH only. You can feel it though your whole body. Also, it only does it under power. As soon as you back off the throttle it disappears. I don't detect any clunking, thinking it was a bad u-joint but I've only driven it 300 miles mostly on the highway. I originally thought it may be tires but when I noticed the pattern of vibration under load, no vibration under no load it got me concerned. I never owned a Mustang before so any feedback/help is greatly appreciated.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Menocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 08 GT Vert, 02 GT Vert

First of all, I would have the tires balanced and checked for bent rims or separated tires. This would eliminate a common source. If that does not change the vibration, you might try rotating the drive shaft 180* on the mount to the rear end. Easy to do and could change how thing vibrate. Bad u-joints do not always "clunk" either. Do one thing at a time to see what makes a difference.
I wake up in the morning with nothing to do and by supper time, I have half of it done.

2008 GT Vert, stock
2000 Lightning, s/c, tuned, Basanni, built tranny
Previous Mustangs:4 - '66 Coupes(silver/blue/grey/red) '87 GT HO, '00/'02/'07 GT Vert(red)(grey)(black), '68 Coupe, '11 GT/CS
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 99 GT 35th LE auto

it's definitly the drivetrain but don't think it's u-joints. Probably doing it after the tranny shifts into OD, that's when there's more torque on the drivetrain. Flawed, or loose, engine or transmission mounts are my guess.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:56 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
00, 1999, 60, automatic, drive, driveline, gt, line, load, mount, mustang, transmission, v6, viberation, vibration