General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Drum emergency brake problems

Old 04-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Mthd11
3rd Gear Member

Default Drum emergency brake problems

Hi all, Ive been battling the stupid e brake on this car since my first 87 and now my 93.
Few seasons ago i put new cables, pads, and short cable, could'nt get it working properly, too much tension, snapping the intermediate cable, pulling ends off the ford cable.

So i left it alone and came back to it this week with 2 new cables, new handle , new intermediate cable, new shoes, and new e-brake wires (inside the drum from pivot to adjuster)

So I just had it the other day before replacing cables, grabbing the wheels hard and locking them up when i yank it, but when release would not return fully causing the wheels to drag bad. I needed to replace cables, so now i did that and it is not locking up the rear wheels, it will slow the car very slowly, and barely hang on the driveway. It is dragging now a bit, but not ridiculously.

What am i missing here?!? what is the secret? is it in the drum adjustment? I'm not sure if the self adjusters are working correctly as when i do the reverse brake, i do not see improvements.

Please help this is ridiculous. Thanks!

93 2.3t
8.8 3.73 rear
5 speed