General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

No brake lights

Old 05-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

Default No brake lights

I have no brake lights. All fuses are good, hazards work, tail lights lights work, signals work, just no brake lights. I tested the brake switch with a fuse tester and the tester lights up when you press the pedal down, otherwise it stays dark. All wires that I can visually see in the trunk look fine and intact. Could it still be the brake switch? Thoughts? Ideas?
Old 05-25-2011, 10:37 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

if the switch puts out 12v when pushed its not the switch. you said you checked all the fuses does that mean every one under the hood and dash or just the ones the manual pointed too? I always check them all as its amazing how often the fuse blown lists nothing to do with the problem that I was trying to fix.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

Yes I checked all of the fuses under the hood and dash.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:40 AM
Coyote 5.0
1st Gear Member

When you put the hazards on step on the brake and see if they stop flashing. Also if you still question the brake switch, pull the connector and jump acroos it and see if they light
Old 05-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coyote 5.0
When you put the hazards on step on the brake and see if they stop flashing. Also if you still question the brake switch, pull the connector and jump acroos it and see if they light
I believe the hazards continue to flash. I'll double check though. Sorry to sound dumb, but jump it how? and from where to where?
Old 05-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Coyote 5.0
1st Gear Member

When you disconnect the plug on the brake switch one side should have power just jump across the terminal in the plug and see if you brake lights go on. When your hazards are flashing and you step on the brake they should stop flashing.
If asking a question on something your not sure of makes you sound dumb than I guess at some point in time WE ARE ALL DUMB!!!!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:14 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

there are two wires that go to the switch. Disconnect the hrns and then just take a piece of wire and touch the two metal contacts at the same time and then see if they come on.

Have you used your hazards recently? Try cycling them on/off 8-10 times as they tend to collect dust and could be interfearing with the signal.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ttocs
there are two wires that go to the switch. Disconnect the hrns and then just take a piece of wire and touch the two metal contacts at the same time and then see if they come on.

Have you used your hazards recently? Try cycling them on/off 8-10 times as they tend to collect dust and could be interfearing with the signal.
I turned the hazards on like once or twice in the last 2 years? I'm gonna try you guys suggestions as soon as the weather participates. Been crappy here. Or real hot.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

I changed the brake switch and all the fuses. Still no brake lights. I'm lost. I looked over as much of the wires as I could, they "look" fine. I dunno what to do?
Old 05-29-2011, 06:01 AM
Coyote 5.0
1st Gear Member

Does the third brake light work???
I'm looking at my wiring dia. According to the dia. wire at brake switch is Red/Lt.Grn??? You could have a bad turn signal switch. Brake light circuit run through the turn signal switch. The third brake light looks isolated from the turn signal switch so it should work. If so it look like the red/lt.grn wire from the brake switch go into the signal switch and come out a lt.grn/org. So find the turn signal connector and see if there is a lt.grn/org wire and test it when you step on the brake.
Also I know this sounds crazy but did you check the bulbs??? Not that they go all at once but if one goes out and no one tells you when the other quits you have no brake lights!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No brake lights