General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can i put a 2jz in my mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 02:03 AM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Can i put a 2jz in my mustang?

I'de do it if i had the 2JZ and tranny laying around. But I'de only do it if you know what your getting into with the fabricating, or your rich cause you are going to pay out the *** for someone to do it for you. But, theoretically it's a pretty straight forward swap , the motor and tranny mounts are the least of your worries. Take the front end off the mustang, hang the damn thing there with a cherry picker and get to work. Remember your going to also need a custom driveshaft, exhaust , and you'll have to get the turboes and intercooler plumbed in. It's going to be super annoying trying to do all the wiring and you'll likley need the dash from the donor car to get parts from. Most importantly , I hate to be a drag or anything but ......a 2JZ isn't 900 hp stock, it's more like 320 . Sure you can get them to put out something like 1,300 or more but not without breaking the "To much $ to be worth it" barrier.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:10 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: kwikstang

imho. leave this guy be. seeing that you're a noob to these forums, here's a word of advice. don't ever use non-mustang or jdm jargon. most guys on this forum won't have a clue what you're saying and will flame you for it, even the moderators do it. a lot of these guys are purists. don't let them get to you. if you've got access to a 2jz and have the necessary finances, do it. it would be a lot of work but if you manage to get it to run, good job. much props. then again. if you've got easy access to a 2jz, you'd might as well keep in the mark iv and build it up. good luck.
This is not a very informed or accurate comment. A guy with 50 posts is calling someone else a noob and taking shots at the moderators and the forum like he is an expert.

That is not how it works here. For the mostpart people were telling you that it's not even worth the trouble of trying to install that engine in a mustang. I noticed many people commented on the need for custom motor mounts, trans mounts, etc. Well that's only the tip of the iceberg.

Their point was that if you have to ask such a simple question as "will it fit" you are probably not qualified to actually make it work anyway.

Why wouldn't you put a turbo on a v8 and blow the frankenstein suprastang out of the water?
Old 09-06-2005, 02:25 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000Si

ORIGINAL: Acer2428

That's b/c we prefer 1,400hp TT Linginfelter vettes
Lingenfelter*

and you only WISH you could afford that what is it? 120 grand price tag.
My friend has the fastest 6 speed ligenfelter vette in the world ....and yes it did cost 120,000
Old 09-06-2005, 04:06 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

That is a lot of work to put in a 300 somethinghp motor try a cobra engine and slap some turbos on that
Old 09-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Dallasbuff21

Can i put a 2jz in my mustang and if so what would ineed to do to do it?
To answer your question, probably, and a WHOLE LOT of custom fab work. Toyota engine vs Ford Chassis, two totally different worlds. If you have the time, money and knowledge, go for it. Be an interesting project.

A guy I used to know used to drop american muscle into toyota trucks and foreign sports cars. You'll have to custom fab motor mounts, wiring harnesses, and in some cases chassis mounting point..

Basically take the Whole Supra motor, with twin turbos, all the electronics (motor related), and splice it into the Mustang Chassis and electrical system. I would think the hardest part will be getting a driveshaft to attach the supra tranny and ford differential.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:18 PM
daver
2nd Gear Member

the original supra did only 10.4 with 900 hp? 900hp should put you in the low 9's, that engine must be a ***** for creating torque. make 900 engine hp with that money and blow the ****in doors off any supra
Old 09-06-2005, 09:06 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: daver

the original supra did only 10.4 with 900 hp? 900hp should put you in the low 9's, that engine must be a ***** for creating torque. make 900 engine hp with that money and blow the ****in doors off any supra
Where are you getting these numbers from? Supras don't put out 900 hp stock.

To the original poster: while this is a cool idea and all, I gotta say if you need to ask if it will fit and what needs to be done you probably don't have the fabrication skill it would take (I am not trying to be a dick, just telling it like it is). This would be a huge project, the fabrication is only part of it, theres wiring, routing all the intercooler pipes, building the proper cooling system the list is endless. If you decide this is somthing you are going to do, I wish you luck, but know what you are getting into. To put a dollar amount on this type of thing I would say between $5-8000 and thats not including the purchass price of the engine and trans.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:58 PM
daver
2nd Gear Member

i didnt say the stock supra put out 900hp. The original quote said this, i know a 2jz engine really puts out about 280 to 300 hp
Old 09-08-2005, 07:10 AM
kwikstang
1st Gear Member

i think it was super sport or one of those import magazines that upped the boost on a stock 2jz block and managed to get at least 700 hp out of it. pretty durable engine if you ask me. only thing, though, is that supras are dyno queens. they've got incredible numbers that don't necessarily reflect in the 1/4. i've seen a 700hp supra run the same time as 900hp supra in the 1/4.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:53 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: kwikstang

i think it was super sport or one of those import magazines that upped the boost on a stock 2jz block and managed to get at least 700 hp out of it. pretty durable engine if you ask me. only thing, though, is that supras are dyno queens. they've got incredible numbers that don't necessarily reflect in the 1/4. i've seen a 700hp supra run the same time as 900hp supra in the 1/4.
The engine is very durable. The dyno queen thing is kind of a myth, like and other car the challenge once you have a ton of power is to get it to the ground, no different than an 03-04 Cobra. There are lots of fast Supras around and there are a ton of ones that should run better than they do.

Quick Reply: Can i put a 2jz in my mustang?