General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How does one identify the tremec 3650 what will it look like? 2000 gt

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Site_Administrator
Banned

Default How does one identify the tremec 3650 what will it look like? 2000 gt

I am trying to figure out if I have a tremec or something else. Never owned a mustang. I don't know if this was swapped or factory. I have the car in the air and I am waiting for a response to confirm. I do not see any identifier tags and I cannot find a google result to help me determine what I have, just Tremec vs T-56, t-45 threads all over the place but none say what it looks like to be able to tell what I actually have.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:06 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Site_Administrator
I am trying to figure out if I have a tremec or something else. Never owned a mustang. I don't know if this was swapped or factory. I have the car in the air and I am waiting for a response to confirm. I do not see any identifier tags and I cannot find a google result to help me determine what I have, just Tremec vs T-56, t-45 threads all over the place but none say what it looks like to be able to tell what I actually have.
post a pic of the tranny.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Site_Administrator
Banned

Originally Posted by SyNdicateZ
post a pic of the tranny.
I am trying to but I can't find any upload image button so I can upload my camera photos.

how would one know just by looking at it if it was a tremec 3650, a t-56 or a t whatever? Is there an distinc feature? I was trying to see if I see a tag. It only says tremec stamped around the drain bolt. so far thats what I can manage to see. exhaust is in the way. I can peak through the bell housing and I dont see anything out of the normal. Throw out bearing fork looks firm in place. Looks lubricated. I am trying to find out what transmission is installed because I plan to call the autoparts store to see if they have a clutch assembly in stock before I drop this monster to find out why the hell that clutch pedal is pulsating/vibrating in the cabin around the quadrant. Guy says it only has 20,000 and it's a racing clutch. But I don't beleive anything untill I see it myself. The pressure plate says luk , so I already know he's full of it cause luk makes replacement transmission clutch kits for all kinds of cars, I have their catalog. So I'm suspecting something in there is causing vibrations. But I am perplexed because when I press in the clutch pedal it is super quiet and no vibrations. Even if I just rest my foot lightly on it while doing 50mph. Its when I let it go completely in 3,4 or fith gear that it sounds like a washing machine in spin cycle, with a slightly unbalanced load
Old 08-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Site_Administrator
Banned

plus , I just wanna know because the guy that gave me this car says it has a tremec and I just wanna know if he's bull****ting me.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:10 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

Is it a five speed or six speed? Six speed = t56 five speed = t5/t3650
Old 08-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Site_Administrator
Banned

five forward and one reverse
Old 08-07-2011, 04:23 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

In order to identify what kind of Mustang transmission you have, you need to check the door tag on your drivers side door jam. If you look down to the bottom right of the tag, you should see an area labeled "TR." Underneath this label there are 5 letters and numbers. The only one that we are concerned with is the first alpha-numeric character which corresponds to your Mustang Transmission.
If you have a 6 as your first digit, you have five-speed manual, T-45 OD Mustang Transmission. This is the standard Mustang transmission that is found in 1996 to Mid 2001 Mustang GTs as well as 1996 to 1998 Mustang Cobras. If you have a 5 as your first digit, your car came with a T-5 OD Mustang transmission. Finally, if you have a K as the first digit in the "TR" code, you have a TR-3650. This Mustang Transmission is found in mid-2001 to 2004 Mustang GT, the 2003 and 2004 Mach1 and the 2001 Cobra. The 2005-2007 manual Mustang GT's also a T-3650
Old 08-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Site_Administrator
Banned

Originally Posted by SyNdicateZ
In order to identify what kind of Mustang transmission you have, you need to check the door tag on your drivers side door jam. If you look down to the bottom right of the tag, you should see an area labeled "TR." Underneath this label there are 5 letters and numbers. The only one that we are concerned with is the first alpha-numeric character which corresponds to your Mustang Transmission.
If you have a 6 as your first digit, you have five-speed manual, T-45 OD Mustang Transmission. This is the standard Mustang transmission that is found in 1996 to Mid 2001 Mustang GTs as well as 1996 to 1998 Mustang Cobras. If you have a 5 as your first digit, your car came with a T-5 OD Mustang transmission. Finally, if you have a K as the first digit in the "TR" code, you have a TR-3650. This Mustang Transmission is found in mid-2001 to 2004 Mustang GT, the 2003 and 2004 Mach1 and the 2001 Cobra. The 2005-2007 manual Mustang GT's also a T-3650

I know what it should have...The problem is that I don't know if it was swapped out for a different tranny just by looking at it from underneath. These mustangs are modified so much it's hard to tell what's original and what's stock. I figured out that the clutch peal is aftermarket so far. it does not fit the description of the stock 2000 gt clutch pedal adjustment. I just turned a **** on the firewall untill it was nice and snug and bolted down the bracket that is dangling around the stock cable around the driver side exhaust and it appears to have solved the pulsating pedal and cabin noise.
My only concern now is if the throw out bearing suppose to be in constant contact lightly on the fingers of the pressure plate? Or should I back it out a little more off the fingers? If I back it out it will have an inch of play at the top of the pedal travel but might return the vibration noise. I don't know why you people modify these stupid cars when you can't go more than 75mph in most states. And all the money you throw at these cars is a wasted investment. It's not like someone at the traffic light is gonna notice your clutch asembly or pedal quadrant. LOL I'm just messing with yall. I am just frustrated at not knowing anything about modified mustangs. I was also wondering if they changed the shifter cause it feels tight and shorter than my dads normal factory shifter. He's not around to compare vehicles. (has the same year and model) He went to europe and left his car in a storage.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Site_Administrator
Banned

Default I FOUND A TAG NEAR THE TAIL END! HELP

IT READS:

XR3R-7003-AB RES-AB E 2991
1381-011 22705

EXACTLY IN THOSE LINES AND SPACES AS YOU SEE IT.

PLEASE HELP FUGURE WHAT THIS MEANS OR WHAT TRANSMISSION IS ACTUALLY IN THERE.

THANK YOU!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:02 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

You have a T-45

1999/00 T-45 XR3R-7003-AB

I did a google search on your Part number and it matches the T-45

http://www.modularrevolution.com/for...ead.php?t=8302

Quick Reply: How does one identify the tremec 3650 what will it look like? 2000 gt