General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Might be getting a '98

Old 09-22-2011, 10:28 AM
All4One
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by backdown
I am for sure going to have it check out. And my truck isn't messed up, but its 11 years old with 204k miles....i can't expect gold. I don't see what is so bad about a salvage title when it appears to be fixed correctly. My truck was crashed and i had to replace the front end, so i can't just say no to someone elses crashed vehicle (no salvage title on mine though).
It's just the expectations that come with a salvaged title. Imagine how much worse that car had to be messed up to get a salvage compared to your truck. The car could be completely fine. Maybe they replaced all the broken stuff with brand new performance parts, or they may have just fixed it with playdoh. I guess it comes down to them being honest with you or not.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:00 PM
backdown

The same can be expected from my truck though...
Old 09-22-2011, 11:27 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by backdown
The same can be expected from my truck though...
True, but buyer beware. It could have been flooded or something and all they did was hose it down and put it up for sale. All that water gets into all the electrical and you'll end up having nothing but intermittent and hard to track down electrical problems with the car... just sayin'... be careful...
Old 09-23-2011, 12:27 AM
Mach_1_II

162k and missing a passenger side airbag? I'd walk away from that. Even if it looks and drives like nothing is wrong with it, there could be problems with it that will surface down the road, such as a bent frame. There are a lot of Mustangs for sale all the time, just wait a little longer, and something better is bound to come up.

I found my car for 18 thousand, which was about 3 thousand under priced considering it only had 23 thousand miles. It also had a fuel pump problem and a current draw, which I'm sure is why they under priced it, but my local Ford dealer fixed the fuel pump under warranty and the current draw was paid for by the dealership I bought it from. So I made out well in the end.

Be patient, there is bound to be a better Mustang for sale than a salvaged one with 162k miles on it.

P.S. Welcome to the boards.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Demonhead
1st Gear Member

Make sure the seat belts are in good condition. After an accident, seat belts are useless because they stretch to cusion the passenger. It won't stretch the next time you get in an accident though.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Fillerdust
2nd Gear Member

That's exactly it, salvage title doesn't mean anything if it was fixed right. You can glue the cover back together but you will live with an airbag light. With it having a 162k miles just realize it does have that many miles and stuff goes wrong. Just make sure the suspension is tight ect. It is a older mustang so do be surprised if you find it has been abused at some point. My new 2000 looked good from a distance and nit picking it up close it has been rode hard but mustangs are good vehicles, so I wouldn't worry to much. The clutch pedal in my opinion on these cars is harder then most. If it feels like it grips good, go with it.

Good luck!

Search this Thread