General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mustang Windows Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 08:20 PM
CincySteve

Default Mustang Windows Question

All-

I just bought a 2008 Mustang GT almost a month ago. A couple weeks ago I noticed how the window will slightly roll itself down when you open either of the doors and then roll itself up to fit snugly into the window seal after you close it.

My questions regarding this are:

Why did Ford design it this way? Surely there could have been something less...what word am I looking for...gimmicky?

How often does this feature break? The motor is being engaged every single time the door is opened and closed.

When did this feature appear on Mustangs? Do more recent models do the same thing?

What happens when it stops doing that? Can you still roll your windows up and down or not? Obviously only power windows can do this....are there base model Mustangs with manual rollup windows that don't do this, and if so....how is the window edge/window seal engaged without this slight movement?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:20 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

my stang does the same my friend. its a 2011 model and i suppose they do this so the window does not make any kind of contact whatsoever with the little black outline right on top of our windows
Old 09-24-2011, 09:46 AM
arabianobsession
2nd Gear Member

I had no idea the S197's still came with crank windows....I thought for sure they didn't???

Anyway, my 2007 V6 had the same thing, my assumption was that it would have a better seal against the elements. Every time it rains or I wash my 95 I can see moisture at the top of the window where the weather stripping is, and I know it doesn't seal as well as my 07 did.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:58 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

this too^ definitely ensures a seal against anything, im not sure how it activates battery to do this but IF it does its minimal power...i wouldnt worry at all, enjoy the stangs window technological advancement! lol
Old 09-24-2011, 04:11 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

My 06 does that, and I always thought it was a great idea. It gets you a better seal and saves on wear. I did think it was a convertible only feature where good window seals have always been an issue but why bother making the coupe different?
Old 09-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

I noticed it on mine too. It sometimes fools me into thinking that I didn't get the door shut all the way.

I test drove an Infiniti G35 coupe and it did the same thing... I sure am glad I bought the Mustang instead!!!