General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Wheel - Brake Noise at LOW speed

Old 09-30-2011, 07:54 PM
chaznsc

Default Wheel - Brake Noise at LOW speed

Hi,
I have an 07 convertible v6 pony, had it about 5 months. Its developed a noise thats the best I can describe as a SCRITCH-SCRATCH sound when I am braking HOWEVER, its only the last revolution or two of the wheels. It sounds like the rear wheels but I wouldn't bet the car on that. Its not loud, but it is troubling. I had it looked at by my mechanic and he says the brakes have 75% of the pad remaining, bla bla bla. I dont know what all they did to inspect but they are generally very good at thoroughness. From my own inspection the rotors on the outside look nice and smooth. I am NOT a mechanic.

I thought I'd throw it out here to see if anyone had some insight into this.

chaz_
Old 10-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Demonhead
1st Gear Member

Maybe the clips that hold your pads in place are broken. My rear left one is broken right now and it makes a chirp brake noise when lightly pressing the brakes. Take off your brake pads and inspect the clips. If they are cracked or anything replace them. Autozone has them for cheap. You'd have to buy the brake caliper hardware kit. Which is cheap.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:26 PM
03FASTGT
1st Gear Member

I would take it apart to inspect. It just takes basic hand tools. Clean your disc's with brake cleaner (back and front) and rough up your pads a bit with a fine grit sand paper. Should take 10 minutes a side if you have jack+jackstands, and basic handtools.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:21 AM
chaznsc

Originally Posted by Demonhead
Maybe the clips that hold your pads in place are broken. My rear left one is broken right now and it makes a chirp brake noise when lightly pressing the brakes. Take off your brake pads and inspect the clips. If they are cracked or anything replace them. Autozone has them for cheap. You'd have to buy the brake caliper hardware kit. Which is cheap.
I wanted to update this thread. The car has been to the Ford Dealer and my local shop. Both times, the rear brakes were addressed, and the noise was gone for a week or two, but then it returned. Its not a loud noise, but its NOT normal.

I took the Mustang into the Ford dealer for brake service (I am friends with the dealer who wanted to hear the noise for himself). That time they resurfaced the rotors and put new pads on it. It ran fine for a week plus, then it came back. Same noise, same volume, same everything. Its coming from the drivers side rear wheel area.

So I take it to my local mechanic. I have a lot of confidence in his shop and we have used him for a number of years. He listened to this (confirmed the sound) and has inspected the wheel bearings, etc, all of which are in good shape. And the noise isn't a roaring, and you only hear it upon braking and only on the last several revolutions. So he changes the brake pads and rotors (new) and puts it all back together. Everything is fine for 2 weeks more or less........then the noise is back. Its a a low grinding sort of noise, actually, more scratchy than actual grinding, and its only audible on the last several revolutions as I stop. Makes no difference on hills or flat areas, I get the same noise.

I have yet to take it back, but am really curious as to what this noise is and why it keeps returning.

Please send thoughts...........

chaz_