Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > General Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by NewTakeOff

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 12-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
j_watson88

Vehicle: 2002 mustang 3.8L 5 spd
Question Vibration problems need help!!!!

2002 3.8l 5spd. Just purchased vehicle a week ago here my issues. As I change gears I get a vibration as I release the clutch and it transfers power. The other issue is vibration while driving. Worse around 40-60mph in 4th or 5th gear. If I let off gas it eases up and goes away same if I push in clutch. Which rules out wheels and tires. I was also told that rules out driveline issues like u joint and drive shaft. My first guess was universal joint at transmission but since it stops when I let off gas or push clutch in I assume it's something diff. When setting at an idle and revving engine it vibrates some but I'm not sure if it's worse than just normal engine vibrations. Could it possibly be harmonic balancer?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
j_watson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:21 AM   #2
petrock
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: '98 3.8L Mustang Convertible

With the car running, open the hood and have a look inside. Try revving the engine a few times as you watch the motor. If the motor is abnormally shaking it could be a bad motor or transmission mount.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
Jethro_N

Vehicle: 2000 Ford Mustang
If you want to add me, pm me

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrock View Post
With the car running, open the hood and have a look inside. Try revving the engine a few times as you watch the motor. If the motor is abnormally shaking it could be a bad motor or transmission mount.
Another method that may reveal more than just reaving is to put it gear(easier with an automatic) hold the brakes then goose it a little. If the engine moves more than just a touch, you have a bad mount... Do the same in reverse to check the other mount. Side it tips too is the bad one.

Though in your case I doubt that is the problem. I would suspect something more to the effect of the clutch just needing to be replaced. Possibly U-joints, but I doubt it, though they are easy enough to check and probably should be checked before you take the transmission out.

It would be madness to say I own a Mustang. I do not own the Mustang, the Mustang owns me. I exist to do Jenni's bidding, not the other way around. I treat her like the lady she is, and she takes me where I ask her too.
====================================
Jethro_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: '08 S197 GT

Engine/Tranny mounts and/or U-joints. I'm going to go with Mounts first. Any bad clunking when you let your foot off the clutch when shifting? That would be more indicative of a u-joint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyz View Post
if you are getting 29mpg in your 5.0, you aren't driving it correctly
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:45 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2000, 2012, 38, balancer, car, gas, harmonic, harmonic balancer, issue, latest, mustang, stops, transmission, vibrates, vibration