General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

O/R H pipe kills gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 04:09 PM
R1nStang
2nd Gear Member

Default O/R H pipe kills gas mileage?

I do more mods on my motorcycle then on the Mustang and I know on the bike getting rid of the cats will lower your MPG...but thats because a new tune is needed to keep from running too lean. What about if I ditch the cats on my 06 mustang GT? I DO NOT have a tuner yet so there is no custom tune on it. I have done the "spark plug defowler" trick to get rid of the CEL...and so far its working. But Im just curious if ditching the cats with a stock tune will actually lower the gas mileage on the car....or am I just imagining things? Winter has arrived and I'm driving the car a lot more then I do during the summer/spring/fall so Im not too sure if my MPG has gone down due to the O/R H pipe...or if its just the way I'm driving it.
thanks
Old 12-19-2011, 05:47 PM
fcettner

I have some performance parts and tune on my GT500. I had to ditch the cats and go catless and I didn't notice any loss of MPG. I think it would apply in your case as well.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

No noticeable difference in mpg here...
Old 12-19-2011, 07:43 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Probably just the way you're driving. Also I always wondered if the spark plug non fouler trick worked on our cars, cool.

I've always wondered if the tune for an o/r pipe actually changes anything other than turning the rear o2's off, so I'll stick around for some info on this.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:50 AM
R1nStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars
Probably just the way you're driving. Also I always wondered if the spark plug non fouler trick worked on our cars, cool.

I've always wondered if the tune for an o/r pipe actually changes anything other than turning the rear o2's off, so I'll stick around for some info on this.
yeah I seem to have a heavier foot since I got rid of the SLP's and put the o/r H and flowmaster 40's on it. MUCH nicer sound to it and I wanna hear it scream all the time.

yeah the defowler trick worked. I had the o/r h pipe and SLP on at first...rediculously loud even while idling. but no CEL with the defowlers. put on the Flows and damn CEL came on. ordered some MILS and the damn light turned off the day before they arrived in the mail...damnit! haha. I've been tryin to sell the MILS since I cant send them back to the store UPR products. tried on ebay...against their policy. got a thread on here but no takers on them figure if they dont sell then ill just hold on to them just in case the defowler trick decides to stop working
Old 12-20-2011, 04:29 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

When I added the UPR/SCT Tuner, UPR CAI, and UPR off-road x-pipe to my '06 GT, I went from 21mpg in the city to 22.3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUz3IhQ1fF8
Old 12-21-2011, 11:10 AM
R1nStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
When I added the UPR/SCT Tuner, UPR CAI, and UPR off-road x-pipe to my '06 GT, I went from 21mpg in the city to 22.3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUz3IhQ1fF8
was hoping to get a tuner with income tax but hit a raccoon this morning and he put a couple cracks in my front bumper..hopefully I can repair the cracks with fiberglass and resin. I've got in bumper inserts and radiator splash guard on order already. If that works out and theres no more damage under the car I shoudl hopefully still be able to get a tuner. what octane is your tune for?
Old 12-21-2011, 12:17 PM
JLA 06 stang

Default sounds good

sounds very nice..
Old 12-21-2011, 02:15 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by R1nStang
was hoping to get a tuner with income tax but hit a raccoon this morning and he put a couple cracks in my front bumper..hopefully I can repair the cracks with fiberglass and resin. I've got in bumper inserts and radiator splash guard on order already. If that works out and theres no more damage under the car I shoudl hopefully still be able to get a tuner. what octane is your tune for?
That's a bummer dude.

Anyway, I'm running UPR's Pro Series 93 Octane tune. It made a huge difference in my car! We have different tunes though.

Originally Posted by JLA 06 stang
sounds very nice..
Thanks!