General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power Steering Fluid leaking (2004)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:52 PM
skidawgz
2nd Gear Member

Default Power Steering Fluid leaking (2004)

I am trying to figure out exactly what part(s) to replace. My car was down for a bit for repairs and finally after getting the engine started it began leaking power steering fluid all over the place. The fluid pretty much pours out, until it becomes a slow drip.

here are some pics of the leaking areas, what do you think? Thanks for any help in advance!

Power Steering Pump side (driver), and where the leak is. (I moved the hose clamp aside)

Driver side again

Passenger side
Old 12-29-2011, 06:55 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Where was the drip coming from? It looks like the fluid got everywhere. Your sway bar end links are soaked, for example. That would suggest something on the high-pressure side. Maybe fill it up again and have a buddy (with eye protection) look under the car as you start it up to see if you can pinpoint where it is spewing. Good luck...
Old 12-29-2011, 05:08 PM
skidawgz
2nd Gear Member

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that. The drip comes from the spot I added the arrow two in the first picture. I move the hose clamp to see if I could see anything to get a better idea of the problem.

It seems my options are buy a new steering rack, or replace the seals?
I've found both items for sale, which would be easier? Time and labor? The seals are obviously much cheaper if they can even be repaired.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:17 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Yeah, sounds like the seal in the rack is bad. Replacing the seals isn't all that complicated, in and of itself but its easier with the rack off the vehicle. However, it can be done with the rack still on the vehicle. I think rockauto.com carries both the rack & the seals.

If you pop off the strap holding the bellows boot (accordion type thing on the rack) and remove the bellows boot and look inside you can get a better idea of what is going on inside there. If the shaft inside the rack is worn, scored or damaged then replace the rack. If not, then replace the seals. The strap that holds the bellows boot on is a one time use strap, so removing it will damage it. So just use a long zip tie to re-install the bellows boot.