General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Purple Hornies!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 10:37 PM
razarr69
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Purple Hornies!

yeah im with jd on that one, theres a huge difference from the difference of a straight through race muffler and glasspack. glasspacks get there sound from the back pressure caused by the shape and packing where as my race bullets jus flow through and the sound comes from the sound waves not being cancelled out completely. i love the sound of my bullets and there is no comparison with the sound of them with glasspacks.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:10 AM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: razarr69
glasspacks get there sound from the back pressure caused by the shape and packing where as my race bullets jus flow through and the sound comes from the sound waves not being cancelled out completely.
And just how the hell do you know that, PhD?

Back pressure refers to resistance of exhaust flow at exhaust valve in the head. Although there is resistance to flow in any abstruction in exhaust, be it a bump or a muffler, backpressure refers to the overall ability of exhaust system to flow the exhaust gases.

Your race mufflers and glasspacks dumpen the sound pretty much the same way. Sound is absorbed by material packing around the race muffler or glasspack. What is the type of this material does not matter. What matters is that the sound is being dumpened or absorbed. In a chamber muffler, the sound is actually being canceled.

I have read alot of your posts and quite franky, 90% of the time you don't have a clue what you are talking about
Well Franky, I have read most of your posts too, 100% of the time you are stubborn in your believes of how things work. Could it be because you drive a chevy and have dog that smokes?

a muffler is any device that muffles (hence the name muffler)
Yes. But there are straight through mufflers, muffler mufflers, and even aquistic mufflers. The latter ones use a mic and speaker to cancel the sound completely. I bet you never even heard of such a thing.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:39 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: 4600cc

ORIGINAL: razarr69
glasspacks get there sound from the back pressure caused by the shape and packing where as my race bullets jus flow through and the sound comes from the sound waves not being cancelled out completely.
And just how the hell do you know that, PhD?

Back pressure refers to resistance of exhaust flow at exhaust valve in the head. Although there is resistance to flow in any abstruction in exhaust, be it a bump or a muffler, backpressure refers to the overall ability of exhaust system to flow the exhaust gases.

Your race mufflers and glasspacks dumpen the sound pretty much the same way. Sound is absorbed by material packing around the race muffler or glasspack. What is the type of this material does not matter. What matters is that the sound is being dumpened or absorbed. In a chamber muffler, the sound is actually being canceled.

I have read alot of your posts and quite franky, 90% of the time you don't have a clue what you are talking about
Well Franky, I have read most of your posts too, 100% of the time you are stubborn in your believes of how things work. Could it be because you drive a chevy and have dog that smokes?

a muffler is any device that muffles (hence the name muffler)
Yes. But there are straight through mufflers, muffler mufflers, and even aquistic mufflers. The latter ones use a mic and speaker to cancel the sound completely. I bet you never even heard of such a thing.
I see, a funny pic of one of my dogs or what car I happen to own currently has so much to do with my knowlage and willingness to help people. Yea I own a Chevy along with a Stang and my wifes VW, in fact in the last 12 months alone I have owned a 73 Cutlass, 95 Impala SS, a pro street 72 Nova and 70 Cutlass vert, all these cars have required work, some of them major chassis stuff and guess who did it, thats right me, when I speak, it's from experiance, not from what I heard or read on some web site or magazine. I've seen the cars on your little site and honestly they suck, you had some beater ex-cop car that you claim laid rubber into 4th gear and survived a spin at 120 mph, what a load of BS, your not fooling anybody here, nobody is really dumb enough to beleive anything you say . Oh yea lets not forget the two NMRA cars I have built and crewed on in the last year as well. So please come back when you actually know what the *** you are doing.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:40 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: JD1969
if you ever look into an old school glass pack you will see why, they have little ridges that disrupt the airflow, a muffler such as a Dynomax Bullet and the ones you mentioned will not have any ridges.
Ridges will disrupt airflow, but they are necessary to expose pressure wave to deadening material. You can remove ridges disruption will be less, but sound deadening will be lower. A glasspack and Dynomax Bullet work on the same principal, they deaden the sound.

A muffler cancels the sound. A pressure wave of opposite shape is thrown at the wave coming into the muffler, and sound is canceled.

I don't doubt you're racing, but apperently you don't know the underlaying theory behind a lot of aspects of automobile technology.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:44 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

I think in 4600cc case too much info is dangerous...............and it's 4601cc for the 4.6 dummie
Old 09-15-2005, 11:47 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

By the way, sound deading is acomplished by throwing pressure waves at the exhaust flow from the sides, while sound cancelation is acomplished by throwing pressure waves at the exhaust dead on in the opposite direction of the exhaust.

The latter one will naturally be more restrictive, not only because of how pressure wave travels, but mostly because of how devices that do this must be constructed.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:53 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

wasn't some of that on the flow master website?
Old 09-16-2005, 09:33 PM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

If you google his paragraphs some of them are almost direct copies from other websites.....

Edit: Keep in mind you are talking to a guy who claims a V-8 will outlast any 4 cylinder under any circumstance due to crank vibration... I know.. A website told him so....

Edit2: Your also talking to a guy who in 1 post claimed he works on cars for a living, then creates another post asking "I park my 5-speed with parking brake and in 1st gear. I noticed that when I'm ready to drive her I don't have to depress clutch to put her in neutral, while engine is off. Is that harmful?"