General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: Would you purchase sensors to prevent curb rash?
Yes--up to a max of $300
10.53%
Yes--up to a max of $500
0%
Yes--up to a $700
0%
No--I would not purchase
89.47%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Curb rash -- prevention. Feedback appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:47 PM
RimmerIdea

Default Curb rash -- prevention. Feedback appreciated

On this forum and some others I've seen quite a few posts about preventing and fixing curb rash. I am a serial entrepreneur and am considering starting a company to address this issue. The technology is challenging but the idea is really quite simple--electronic curb feelers; an array of sensors that would warn you BEFORE you scrape your rims.

We have a design and have filed for patents but I wonder how big the market would be. Would you buy? At what price?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Greg06GT
1st Gear Member

I personally would not buy. I've never hit a curb. Some tires are made with rim protectors that guard against lips getting rash.

If your constantly hitting curbs. You should not own a nice car.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

No interest here as well. The much easier solution is learning how to parallel park as I can't remember the last time I curbed one of my cars.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

It's no different than the stupid back-up sensors/cameras that people swear by. Personally I think electronic nannies are a waste of time/money and people should just learn to drive better (practice and pay attention) than rely on the nannies.

That being said, the curb thingie would be good if it worked for U-turns when you're in a tight squeeze with oncoming traffic and you're not sure if you can clear the turn without having to throw it in reverse while the cars bear down on you. States like Texas would probably like this since you can't pull directly into any place with a left turn. Rather you have to pass the place, then make a U-turn or a bunch of left turns...
Old 02-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Yeah I don't rub rim unless I'm forced to.

Like when I'm turning and some giant van is about to take me out so I have to cut it all of a sudden to avoid collision.

BUT I'm always happy to give suggestions to prospective inventors...

Head over to the ricer forums (Honda Civic ect). I bet they'll be all over it
Old 02-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Time2SHO
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
It's no different than the stupid back-up sensors/cameras that people swear by. Personally I think electronic nannies are a waste of time/money and people should just learn to drive better (practice and pay attention) than rely on the nannies.
I had my mustang parked close to the entrance of a store(did it without thinking, usually park at the back of the lot) and a brand new F-150 with the back up camera and sensors rear ended me...Even the people with them don't know how to drive. But I agree I think that all those backing up features are a waste aswell.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 AM
RimmerIdea

Default Thanks for the input

I appreciate the feedback. Maybe I am just unlucky with rims. I consider myself a damn good driver. I've been through Bondurant (nothing more fun than a race prepped mustang on a track) and have successfully autocrossed. But I've curbed my Ace Forged rims twice. Once in a parking garage where I hit a curb that I couldnt see and once in a bank drive thru. Each time I had to replace the outer barrel and was out about $600.

Judging by the number of cars I see with messed up rims (including a lot of nice enthusiast cars) there must be a problem out there. Just trying to figure out if this is something people would buy or whether it would be a waste of time and effort.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Without a cost it's hard to guage interest level.

The wheel rash I have on my one wheel was cause when they changed the tires on my rims. They didn't use a guard on my wheel when they put the first tire on the rim and the leverage bar was in direct contact with the Rim. It's only a couple inches long and not noticiable unless you know it's there. (of course I know its there).
Old 02-10-2012, 01:39 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Simple....learn to drive. If an accident....claim to insurance. Just what I need....something else beeping at me to tell me what I already know.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I don't hit curbs, I understand where my car is.

Quick Reply: Curb rash -- prevention. Feedback appreciated