General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Evaporator Core repair Kit question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Blue1989

Default Evaporator Core repair Kit question

Hello all,
I'm new here and am looking for some help. Basic history is I've had my 89 mustang since 91. I've done most all the repairs the car has needed, except transmission, to keep it virtually stock. So I like working on it myself whenever possible. It is my daily driver but I do have an F250 so I can take the time to do the repairs myself.

Which brings me to my problem. About 2 years ago I recharged the AC with one of those cheap 134a kits. Worked fine for a while until too much pressure built up and blew a connection apart. Forgive my termanology as I never took the kime to figure out how AC really works but one of the evaporator lines coming through the firewall is the problem. The top one has the big nut and that is fine. The lower on has the flange and goes into a spring lock connector. It is that one that blew apart basically straightening out the flange.

Since I have the ac heater unit out replacing the heater core what can I do to fix the flange? I've seen a evaporator core repair kit which sure looks like the flange I need to fix. It appears I just cut the broken flane off and splice in this kit. It's part :TEM 201063 at NAPA and 16155 at autozone and other places. The problem is I can't find any instructions or anything confirming its the right part or that it fits in the way I described. I'm not sure it is a part to fix the actual connection to the evaporator core or one of the lines connecting to the core.

OR.... am I able to fix the flange with one of those tubing flange makers? But do I need a double flange or what? I've never put a flange on any piping so this will be new for me and I need details on what tool to get. I'm concerned about the metal being initially flanged, straightened, and then flanged again would be too much and make it weak.

Things that are NOT an option are buying a new Evaporator core at $100 right now or buying a whole $700 retrofit kit.

Just looking for advice suggestions.

Thanks