General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

96 GT brake issues!! dragging etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 06:21 PM
stevehatestom

Exclamation 96 GT brake issues!! dragging etc.

Okay so let me start off by saying I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO! Heres some brack ground info on my 96 GT vert. Bought it about a year ago. The last guy really beat on this car. but to the point its pretty much a brand new looking car now. Only issue is the brakes! The ABS light has been on since I bought it. Dont know if that comes into any effect..

But my brakes will lock up and drag after about 10 minutes of driving on any given day. The pedal is super stiff and hard and my car can barely move. I have to keep pulling over and crack open my master cylinder. Drive off, and after some use it happens again! I'm assuming its just the front wheels because my steering will will shake violently when the brakes are coming close to locking up.

I replaced the master cylinder a few months back, it has a small spit from the bottom. so before it got any worse i decided ill just replace it. Soon after it was replaced this issue came up with the brakes. So I bled all the wheels and the MC, drove the car for like an hour or more. Nothing happened! so i thought okay problem solved! Nope! Next day, take it to work and before I get there I had to pull over and bleed off the MC! So confused I went to Napa where I got the BRAND NEW MC and explained there might be something wrong with the MC. They told me, "oh this is a typical thing when you replace you MC. The hoses are prolly stretched and need to be replaced." So i ordered 2 new front hoses, put them in, bled everything again. Drove it down the highway, still my brakes lock up! So I called my uncle he owns a shop explained it to him. He thought it could be my power brake booster. Bought that! Put that in and still my brakes lock up! At this point i dont know what else I can do besides maybe replace the calipers....

ANY IDEA?![/B]
thanks!