General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Driving the Mustang cross country

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 05:44 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Check your fluids and wiring to every single light! I've noticed that depending on the state, some cops get so bored as to pull people over for running lights being out, probably out of boredom. Check your tire pressure EVERY time you stop for gas, especially if you decide to go on not so great tires. As for the tires themselves, put a quarter in the tread and compare them to a decent tire of a car you park next to or something, that's what I would do...As long as they're not too bald they should hold up fine. If there's fraying or any mesh showing then yeah get them replaced. Oh and replace your headlights if it's been awhile, I know at least up in PA it's law to not have foggy headlamps anymore, and if they're dim you'll get pulled over just because a piggy can't tell the difference.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:09 PM
302_HBU
1st Gear Member

For those of you who have made that trip before, Are there any roads or highways I need to watch out for police or radar/speed cameras? Also, Opposite, Are there any highways that aren't too busy where I might be able to open it up a bit without worrying too much?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:55 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

the first two times in the moving trucks not only did the gov keep me under 70 but when your pulling everything you own, in a truck you have no exp in, and have NO exp with a trailer you probably shouldn't go that fast anyways.... The 3rd trip I took in the stang I had no radar detector but made great time compaired to the first two trips. as for speedtraps you can use this site http://www.speedtrap.org/

I am sure someone along the way recomended a gps and I would too. My only advice to you on that is make sure that it is updated recently as with you comming from indiana you will probably be amazed how fast that city is expanding. For example when I bought my house in 2001 it was out in the rural east side, had a dairy not far away and the closest major intersection was a 4 way stop. When I left in 2009, they had now built a 5-6 lane(each way) bypass(the 202 you will get to know well), a HUGE mall, hospital, and even a dog park that was ranked #1 in the nation by pet fancy, most of it popped up in the last 2-3 yrs there. If you do not have a very current GPS I can promise you when you get to phoenix it will not be accurate and could cause more harm then good.

Otherwise I will be amazed if you do not love the city. Great hiking and biking all over the city, great things to do and see every day(if you have the cash), and a spring-like winter where there is just never too many blue skys.

One other piece of advice, get a california car duster now and you can save yourself alot of cleaning time. Since it only rains half a dozen to a dozen times a year you can get away with out washing your car for months if you just keep the dust off... Oh yea, LOTSA DUST and get ready for the shock of hearing your new insurance rates, get the glass coverage you will need it(yearly almost).
Old 03-02-2012, 10:08 PM
302_HBU
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ttocs
the first two times in the moving trucks not only did the gov keep me under 70 but when your pulling everything you own, in a truck you have no exp in, and have NO exp with a trailer you probably shouldn't go that fast anyways.... The 3rd trip I took in the stang I had no radar detector but made great time compaired to the first two trips. as for speedtraps you can use this site http://www.speedtrap.org/

I am sure someone along the way recomended a gps and I would too. My only advice to you on that is make sure that it is updated recently as with you comming from indiana you will probably be amazed how fast that city is expanding. For example when I bought my house in 2001 it was out in the rural east side, had a dairy not far away and the closest major intersection was a 4 way stop. When I left in 2009, they had now built a 5-6 lane(each way) bypass(the 202 you will get to know well), a HUGE mall, hospital, and even a dog park that was ranked #1 in the nation by pet fancy, most of it popped up in the last 2-3 yrs there. If you do not have a very current GPS I can promise you when you get to phoenix it will not be accurate and could cause more harm then good.

Otherwise I will be amazed if you do not love the city. Great hiking and biking all over the city, great things to do and see every day(if you have the cash), and a spring-like winter where there is just never too many blue skys.

One other piece of advice, get a california car duster now and you can save yourself alot of cleaning time. Since it only rains half a dozen to a dozen times a year you can get away with out washing your car for months if you just keep the dust off... Oh yea, LOTSA DUST and get ready for the shock of hearing your new insurance rates, get the glass coverage you will need it(yearly almost).
What do you mean about the glass??
Old 03-03-2012, 08:56 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

insurance there offers the option for glass coverage and if you get a year out of a windshield count yourself lucky. Because of the lack of water and the natural terrain the sides of the highay are nothing but nickel-quarter sized rock. On the nicer highways the bring in decomposed granit(same sized rocks) and line the sides to help keep the weeds down. It looks nice and perty but the rocks often get kicked onto the road, kicked up by the car infront of you and shot backwards into your windshild cracking it..... The glas replacement biz there is HUGE and they will come out to your work or home to do it right there for you, all for free if you have the ins. It doesn't effect your premium price when you use it and its a really really good idea to get it. My room mate I had cracked his maybe 4 months after we got there. I remember driving home from work the very next day with him after having it replaced, tape still on the windshild and we heard the "POP" that we became very familiar with, almost in the exact same place... its just unavoidable honestly. You will also find yourself lucky if your car battery lasts 3-4. The summers just bake them to death with the underhood temps. Leaving a car to sit for just one summer with no use will kill a good battery....
Old 03-03-2012, 09:32 AM
302_HBU
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ttocs
insurance there offers the option for glass coverage and if you get a year out of a windshield count yourself lucky. Because of the lack of water and the natural terrain the sides of the highay are nothing but nickel-quarter sized rock. On the nicer highways the bring in decomposed granit(same sized rocks) and line the sides to help keep the weeds down. It looks nice and perty but the rocks often get kicked onto the road, kicked up by the car infront of you and shot backwards into your windshild cracking it..... The glas replacement biz there is HUGE and they will come out to your work or home to do it right there for you, all for free if you have the ins. It doesn't effect your premium price when you use it and its a really really good idea to get it. My room mate I had cracked his maybe 4 months after we got there. I remember driving home from work the very next day with him after having it replaced, tape still on the windshild and we heard the "POP" that we became very familiar with, almost in the exact same place... its just unavoidable honestly. You will also find yourself lucky if your car battery lasts 3-4. The summers just bake them to death with the underhood temps. Leaving a car to sit for just one summer with no use will kill a good battery....
Wow, Awesome information to know! Thanks! I will definitely look into the glass coverage on my insurance!
Old 03-05-2012, 05:51 PM
millerwilliampeter

AAA Membership.
2 ATM cards on different accounts in separate wallets
2 credit cards on different accounts in separate wallets
Legal counsel on retainer.
Sat radio.
100 watt inverter.
Never shut the car off at a rest stop after 6PM or before 6AM. A car only fails to start after its been shut down.
Always make your nights motel reservation before 10AM.
Baby wipes and Gold Bond Body powder.
That's about all you should need if your car is well maintained.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:53 PM
302_HBU
1st Gear Member

So just a little update., I inspected my tires today and it seems as though they will need to be replaced before I leave. The fronts have very little tread left and the rears are nearly bald, so my questions., Would it be a bad idea for me to replace the two rear tires? I'm pretty low on money so the budget wont allow all 4 new tires..
Old 03-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302_HBU
So just a little update., I inspected my tires today and it seems as though they will need to be replaced before I leave. The fronts have very little tread left and the rears are nearly bald, so my questions., Would it be a bad idea for me to replace the two rear tires? I'm pretty low on money so the budget wont allow all 4 new tires..
The front tires have the burden of doing the steering and most of the braking. If you can only afford two, I'd put them on the front and rotate the original fronts with at least some tread to the rear.