General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Driving the Mustang cross country

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 06:55 PM
302_HBU
1st Gear Member

Default Driving the Mustang cross country

Hey all,

This May my girlfriend and I are making the move from Indiana, to Phoenix, AZ. I will be driving my 94 GT there, does anyone have any suggestions or precautions I should be aware of to make the most out of the trip and make sure I don't need to be stopping at any shops on the way there?

Also, I will be needing new tires fairly soon..I'd give them a few more months on regular driving conditions, Would you all suggest replaces the tires before, or after I get to Arizona?

I am pulling the Mustang out of storage mid march so I will have a couple months to get everything ready..
Old 02-25-2012, 01:02 AM
FormlessGT
1st Gear Member

Just make sure you fluids are all up to par and not low. I really wouldn't worry too much about changing you tires until after. Maybe if your tires are completely bald then maybe.

How much will you be hauling? All I can say is be prepared to spend a lot of money on gas haha. Make sure your spare tire is inflated properly as well.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:06 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I've done runs in my pony from Boston to Kansas City and back multiple times, recommendations would be as follows:

1) As FormlessGT said, make sure all fluids are topped up. Oil and filter change if the car is due for one.

2) Tuneup: If your ride hasn't had fresh plugs and a new fuel filter, etc in eons, now is a good time.

3) Tires: Living in IN, I don't have to tell you Spring rains through the Midwest can be extremely heavy. How worn are those tires? Hydroplaning on the highway is bad news.

4) GPS if you don't have one. There's some long stretches of empty road between you and AZ. Being able to find the next rest area or fuel stop easily makes things less stressful

5) Small cooler. Nice to be able to carry some extra bottled water/soft drinks.

6) Inexpensive first aid kit: You never know...

7) Road flares: if you do have a breakdown or flat at night and need to change a tire or something. you want to be seen.

8) Clothing: Make sure you have stuff for the expected range of conditions easily available, Conditions change as you're moving. I had one day where it was in the very low 40's and foggy with torrential rain rolling through the mountains of PA during the middle of the night, but by lunchtime in central Illinois it was 105 degrees with not a cloud anywhere. Have the right gear with you and put it somewhere you can get at it without dumping everything out of the trunk.

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 02-25-2012 at 04:20 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:48 AM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

Tape the front end so you don't damage the paint. Good luck!
Old 02-25-2012, 11:57 AM
302_HBU
1st Gear Member

I'm going to order plugs and wires today so I can just do those before I pull it out of storage..I'll be getting the Autolite 25's but what Wires do you all recommend? I was thinking ford racing but do I need to do that or just stick with the cheap kind?
Old 02-25-2012, 12:40 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

wow, been there and got the shirt for that trip... I moved out there in july of 2000 in a 17 penske truck and my 97 ranger on the trailer behind it. 5 months later my g-friend moved out so I flew back to our hometown of evansville indiana packed her up and made the same trip again now with her cavalier on the back trailer. in 2006 after 13yrs of me beggin my folks to sell me my moms 94 gt they finally caved. So I flew back and made the trip this time in the mustang with my brother, much much more enjoyable trip.

#1 - and most important SATALITE RADIO!!!!! The first two trips the moving trucks didn't have anything other then am/fm and you will be amazed at how long of a deadspot there is in tx/nm and how boring it suddenly becomes(bitch fell asleep both times at that part). The trip with my brother we were listening to the comedy channel laughing so hard we were almost crying/swerving and the trip was sooo much better.

#2 - AAA - must have some kind of roadside service.
#3 - basic tools - adjustable wrenches, screwdriver with replaceable tips.
#4 - it will still be cold as puck in flagstaff and can be iced over at this time of year so be prepaired for that.

The trip from flag - phoenix is about 3 hrs and a good trip as you wind down the canyon past the red rocks of sedona. There are a number of places worth pulling over for some pictures and there is also montazuma castle right off the hwy that is a short trip that is worth the time. Do a search and you will recognize the pics from your childhood history books. There is also a short-cut that bypasses flag and carves its way down some winding paved country roads that in the mustang was alot of fun and also saved probably 45 mins.

What part of phoenix? There are some great deals on houses but be carefull. I bought one out in gilbert and was working in chandler(East side) and was delighted to see my house go from the 130k I bought it for to 250k at one point. Then my health took a crap, housing bubble popped and I lost my job from the health issues. Last I heard it sold for $112k and that was after I did alot of add-ons to the house..........
Old 02-25-2012, 01:01 PM
302_HBU
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ttocs
wow, been there and got the shirt for that trip... I moved out there in july of 2000 in a 17 penske truck and my 97 ranger on the trailer behind it. 5 months later my g-friend moved out so I flew back to our hometown of evansville indiana packed her up and made the same trip again now with her cavalier on the back trailer. in 2006 after 13yrs of me beggin my folks to sell me my moms 94 gt they finally caved. So I flew back and made the trip this time in the mustang with my brother, much much more enjoyable trip.

#1 - and most important SATALITE RADIO!!!!! The first two trips the moving trucks didn't have anything other then am/fm and you will be amazed at how long of a deadspot there is in tx/nm and how boring it suddenly becomes(bitch fell asleep both times at that part). The trip with my brother we were listening to the comedy channel laughing so hard we were almost crying/swerving and the trip was sooo much better.

#2 - AAA - must have some kind of roadside service.
#3 - basic tools - adjustable wrenches, screwdriver with replaceable tips.
#4 - it will still be cold as puck in flagstaff and can be iced over at this time of year so be prepaired for that.

The trip from flag - phoenix is about 3 hrs and a good trip as you wind down the canyon past the red rocks of sedona. There are a number of places worth pulling over for some pictures and there is also montazuma castle right off the hwy that is a short trip that is worth the time. Do a search and you will recognize the pics from your childhood history books. There is also a short-cut that bypasses flag and carves its way down some winding paved country roads that in the mustang was alot of fun and also saved probably 45 mins.

What part of phoenix? There are some great deals on houses but be carefull. I bought one out in gilbert and was working in chandler(East side) and was delighted to see my house go from the 130k I bought it for to 250k at one point. Then my health took a crap, housing bubble popped and I lost my job from the health issues. Last I heard it sold for $112k and that was after I did alot of add-ons to the house..........

We will be moving to the Peoria/West Valley Area..We are both going to The Art Institute out there so we are just looking into a 1 bedroom apartment..

The move will be interesting, it will be me in my 94 GT, and my girlfriend in her 06 Pontiac G6.. We will be leaving from Fort Wayne and her mom will be driving a Penske truck from MN (where we are originally from.) with all of our furniture and what not and we are all meeting somewhere around St. Louis or something and then making the drive to phoenix..

I will probably just load up a bunch of CD's to listen to on the way there and I'll have to have some really high self-discretion not to slam my foot on the gas when we hit those open roads...:P
Old 02-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Apstang50

As said, tune up, fresh fluids, small tool set, flashlight, walkie talkies since you'll be in two vehicles, cell phone charger, extra serp belt.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:29 PM
302_HBU
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Apstang50
As said, tune up, fresh fluids, small tool set, flashlight, walkie talkies since you'll be in two vehicles, cell phone charger, extra serp belt.
Good call on the Serp belt..I wouldn't have even though about that!
Old 02-26-2012, 03:18 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I always take tools, extra belt, gallon of coolant/water, quart of oil and triple check that the spare/jack/wrench are ready.

Quick Reply: Driving the Mustang cross country