General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

stang is shaking at all speeds

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Kirus93x

Default stang is shaking at all speeds

So I was doing a video project and was slamming on the breaks a few times without traction control at speeds of 70mph (tires lock)

Now my car is shaking. I'm hoping it's just a wheel alignment, but something is telling me it might be a bent wheel bearing. Maybe a tire rod? The tread on the tires is also uneven, could this cause shaking?

The steering wheel shakes very bad, and its unbearable while driving, especially on the highway at speeds of 65. Is it even safe for other aspects of the car with shaking like this? Should I drive as little as possible?

Can someone enlighten me on this before I bring it to a mechanic so I don't get screwed? It's a 2000 mustang if that's needed information.

A lot of questions I know, but it's much appreciated thank you! I have an appointment at Sullivan Tire Tuesday so they can tell me what I need, but there a business so god knows if what they tell me is true.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:10 PM
stang06lv
2nd Gear Member

your tires are are uneven? this will cause wheel shaking you need new tires.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Kirus93x

Yeah there is a small portion were the tread is really low
Old 03-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Kirus93x

I forgot to mention (can't figure out how to edit posts)

The car also pulls to the left.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:21 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Thats what you get for driving your sports car like a damn sports car!..
Old 03-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

damn bro.... hate to say this but you fugged your car up! Change those tires, check your pads., break fluid., etc!! Come on.., cant do the time dont do the crime!! Oh, and welcome!!

Last edited by Js88lx; 03-25-2012 at 07:58 PM. Reason: added
Old 03-28-2012, 04:00 AM
meganzhang

when was the last time you had your rims/tires balanced?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:41 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

It could be many, many things. Rods can be bent, could be a partially locked/fully locked up caliper, warped your brakes really bad, bald spotted your tires really bad, etc. If your wear is uneven that will definitely have an effect. Pulling to the left sounds like either busted up rods or a locked up caliper. If you don't hear grinding I wouldn't go with bearings off the bat. Almost 100% of the time if your wheel bearings need replaced you'll hear it as much as feel it.

Get your tires replaced FOR SURE. Then check your brakes yourself. Pull into a garage and just ask someone to look at your rods and throw a 10 at them or something, that's what I do if I want something checked out and I don't know what the f**k I'm looking at.

Also, meganzhang has a good point that I didn't think of. You might have thrown some wheel balancers off during the hard jolts during braking...that you will have to send it to a tire shop for. If those slip/fall off you will DEFINITELY notice it, trust me. In the winter I washed my BMW and water froze as it pooled on the inside of the rim and got stuck there. Was driving it and it felt like it was going to fall apart. Sounds crazy but small stuff like that can have a huge reverberating impact on your ride quality, and it will only get worse the faster you drive. Stay off the highway, get it checked out.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:14 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Unless youve hit something, the chances of anything being bent or broke just from locking up the brakes a few times is very low. more than likely its because of your tires being flat spotted. Rotate your tires front to rear and see if it stops shaking as bad. if so buy new tires.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Kirus93x
So I was doing a video project and was slamming on the breaks a few times without traction control at speeds of 70mph (tires lock)

Now my car is shaking. I'm hoping it's just a wheel alignment, but something is telling me it might be a bent wheel bearing. Maybe a tire rod? The tread on the tires is also uneven, could this cause shaking?

The steering wheel shakes very bad, and its unbearable while driving, especially on the highway at speeds of 65. Is it even safe for other aspects of the car with shaking like this? Should I drive as little as possible?

Can someone enlighten me on this before I bring it to a mechanic so I don't get screwed? It's a 2000 mustang if that's needed information.

A lot of questions I know, but it's much appreciated thank you! I have an appointment at Sullivan Tire Tuesday so they can tell me what I need, but there a business so god knows if what they tell me is true.
It's simple. You created flat spots on the tires when you locked them up. A balance will get them "balanced" but the flat spots wll still be there. You'll need new tires.

So yes, uneven tread will cause shaking and wobble in the steerign wheel (front tires) and the body of the car/seat of your pants (rear tires).

Also, if you get up to 40mph or fast you're hear a wha, wha, wha, wha, that will become defening at highway speeds.

Quick Reply: stang is shaking at all speeds