General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Cobra won't start after hibernation

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:56 AM
BadSally2001

Default Cobra won't start after hibernation

Hello to everyone. I haven't been here in a few years, now I'm back with a question:

I searched the forum, and saw several threads on this subject. Here's my deal:

2001 Cobra SVT vert with 53,000 miles. Parked it in Nov last year. I had disconnected the battery, so reconnected...cranked but didn't start. Wore down the battery, gauges were jumping up and down, so I jumped it...turned over but didn't start. Checked the fuel shut off switch in the trunk, button was down. The battery finally gave up the ghost (original factory battery). I installed a new one, but still won't start. No fuel.

The theft light comes on and I go through the sequence to disable. Then all the dash lights comes on and including Check Engine. Still won't start. I can't smell any fuel. I checked the shut off switch again, popped it up and pushed it down, still no luck.

Full tank of gas with treatment, very mild winter (super mild) so I don't suspect bad fuel or water in the tank.

I haven't listened for the fuel pump which I will try next weekend. Any advice would be much appreciated I missed out on two weeks of awesome vert weather Gotta get the old girl running.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:19 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

sure you have spark? AFter all the cranking now it might not be a bad fuse. do you have a fuel pressure gauge to verify pressure?

Also pull the CEL codes and see what they say.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:57 AM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Turn the key to the ON position like 3 times. You should hear the Fuel lines/system pressurize. After the 3rd time. try to start the car..maybe that might help. Hopefully
Old 03-28-2012, 12:07 PM
BadSally2001

Thanks for the responses.

Not sure about the fuses, will have to get out the book and see where they are. What are the CEL codes?

Turn to the ON position, then back to completely off, like to take out the key? Or just to the OFF position? Last time all I heard was the CD player looking for CDs *ugh*

I'm hoping it's not electrical...I had a '99 that had a gremlin in the wiring, made me crazy. Never did figure out what was going on.

I don't have a Mustang man to work on it, don't even know anyone I would trust under the hood.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:19 PM
BadSally2001

strange, I don't see an edit button for my posts. I meant to sound more appreciative to ttocs and SyNdicateZ. I appreciate any help from Mustang peeps
Old 03-28-2012, 06:19 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

put the key into the ignition. turn the key to the ON position 3 times without actually starting the engine. Then after doing that 3 try to start it up

Last edited by SyNdicateZ; 03-28-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:44 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BadSally2001

Turn to the ON position, then back to completely off, like to take out the key? Or just to the OFF position? Last time all I heard was the CD player looking for CDs *ugh*
i think why he is suggesting the 3 turns to the on position is to get the fuel pump to prime 3 times, so, turning the key to off, or turning the key to off and taking the key out will do the same thing. so, you can turn it to off or take it out. whatever you like.
put a cd in there so it doesnt search and interfere so you can listen for the fuel pump turning on, or you can get somebody to hang out near your tank and listen for the pump when you turn the key on.

please note, anything i just told you is practically a guess. see my signature
Old 03-28-2012, 07:05 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Are the battery terminal Connections free of rust and corosion? if not I bet that could be the issue. I remember having a similar issue you have, If the battery terminal connectors dont have good contact with the battery post then the car wont start up like it should..or you can try the below if you run out off all options and you DO hear the fual system pressurizing..

Remove all six spark plugs and spray some lubricating oil into each cylinder. While your Mustang sat, the piston rings may have become stuck in position and the oil will help loosen them. With the spark plugs out, crank the engine until the oil light on the dashboard goes off, which will prime the fuel and oil pump. Reinstall the spark plugs and attempt to start your Mustang.

Last edited by SyNdicateZ; 03-28-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Make sure you're getting spark. Good chance your terminals might've gotten some gunk on them while in storage, try an abrasive to remove it down to a clean surface if there is some. And like you were going to do, make sure fuel is actually getting to the engine. No hum = no run!
Old 03-29-2012, 12:30 PM
BadSally2001

Thanks to all who replied, much appreciated

Battery terminals were very clean; car was covered and out of the weather, so not even a mouse nest under the hood. But I'll brush 'em up anyway and make sure.

I hope I don't have to get under the hood. Ex took all my tools; he didn't even leave me a torque wrench

Another question: how often does the fuel shut-off switch go bad? And is there a way I can test it?

Quick Reply: Cobra won't start after hibernation