General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help installing remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Yes, starter wire is getting power and yes, when I have a key in the ignition, it starts. When programming, the instructions say turn the ignition on. Does this mean start the car or just turn the key?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Also noticed something important. When the bypass is plugged in, the car won't start even with an actual key cranking but will turn on all the dash lights.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

And also, with the key turned, the security light flashes and doesn't turn off
Old 06-06-2012, 09:28 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stuart McWilliams
And also, with the key turned, the security light flashes and doesn't turn off
PATS fault.

Pretty sure you didn't follow the directions correctly to program it. The pkall has a test, use it to see if it's been programmed.

And you could just look at the dash after trying to remote start it with everything hooked up as I stated before. See if it's flashing like that, or glowing when you try to remote start it, if it does either, that means the bypass is not set right.

Follow the right-hand side of the pkall/expresskits's pdf directions to the letter from step 2 down to 9. You only get 5 and 10 second intervals max to do these things.

Last edited by wayne613; 06-06-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

What test? It says it will flash ten times after it is programmed and it wont flash. Here's what I am doing:
1. Hold down button.
2. Insert 4-pin harness into bypass. The light turns on at this point which the instructions say it does after the insertion of the second connector.
3. Insert 6(?) pin harness
4. Release button. LED has not flashed by this point so it is not already programmed with another vehicle.
5. Insert key. The dash light flashes so I wait a while until beeping stops and then remove key.
6. Quickly insert next key into ignition and do the same, wait for the beeping to stop. Light just continues to flash.
7. Press start button on remote and the car does exactly as what happens in the video.

What am I doing wrong here?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:41 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stuart McWilliams
What test?
Right here:
Originally Posted by Top left hand corner of pdf file you linked
LED Module Diagnostics :
On: Activated.
OFF: Not activated.
Flash: Not programmed.
Are you sure you didn't get the Rx and Tx backwards? For many of their other devices, having the LED come on right off like that and stay on means you have them reversed. Don't suppose by some fluke you actually flashed this to the latest firmware before you started this?

Last edited by wayne613; 06-06-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
Right here:
Light is constantly on so maybe it's already programmed with my vehicle? Is it the "Neg out when running wire not corrected correctly? I looked back and saw your reference to the manual where white is labeled as the above. It appears the physical manual I have been referring to is different. Here is a scan of the manual I have been referring to:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now, which wire now that you see that? I can't see anything else being wrong with the wiring that would cause this. It's obviously something to do with the bypass.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Don't suppose by some fluke you actually flashed this to the latest firmware before you started this?
Why the hell would I do that? That would make things easier! Was I supposed to think about that?

I will go out and try flipping the tx/rx

Last edited by Stuart McWilliams; 06-06-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:13 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Now, which wire now that you see that? I can't see anything else being wrong with the wiring that would cause this. It's obviously something to do with the bypass.
Which wire do I see what? It's pin 10 (white wire) on the 16pin harness that should be connected to the pkall's.

Last edited by wayne613; 06-06-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Which wire do I see what? It's pin 10 (white wire) on the 16pin harness that should be connected to the pkall's.
In your original response, you said it was the white wire that was labeled with neg when running but it is labeled something else in my manual so I didn't know if the colors were different than the ones described in your version. I tried switching the rx/tx and the same thing is happening.

Quick Reply: Need help installing remote starter