General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Buying a used (and my first) Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Possible Buyer

Default Buying a used (and my first) Mustang

I'm looking at test driving a 2001 V6 5 speed mustang this weekend. I offered the guy 3500 if it drives well. Being that I have never owned a mustang, I would like to know anything I should be concerned about going into this purchase to make sure everything is ok.

The vehicle has 130k Miles on it so I have a few questions I would like answered.

1) What concerns should I have with a mustang over 100k miles.
2) What should I look for while driving it to ensure everything is good.
3) Any other tips or stuff to look for.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:27 AM
2k232
2nd Gear Member

As a previous owner of a 00 v6 5 speed. The best thing to do is check for possible abuse on the car. Check and see how the coolant looks check the oil and check for shady body work. Personally my mustang last well over 200k with minimal repairs. But like any older car your going to have problems is try to talk him down a bit I wouldn't pay over 3.2 for it. Just my opinion.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Possible Buyer

He wanted 3700, I pulled him down a bit to 3500 over email. Perhaps it will be different in person with cash. I dont know much about mustangs, or car maintenance in general, so what exactly would I be looking for in the coolant?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:11 AM
shoyass

Coolant should be bright green. You really want to cold start it. Just to make sure you don't have any morning problem. Jack it up and check the wheel bearings
Old 05-14-2012, 12:34 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

On a V6 thhere are a couple of quick easy checks to do:

Check the right rear tire for wear (if it's a lot more than the left side, the car has probably been abused).

Listen to the passanger side exhaust manifold with the motor running. The A/C tends to drip on them in the V6, and it can cause a crack (exhaust leak).

Check coolant for off color and oil level.

Pop out the airfilter and look at it. If it's super dirty, could be another sign the car has been treated rough (If you don't take care of the $5 air filter, what says the owner took care of anything else?)

Look down the body lines of the car to make sure they are straight and true. Make sure the gaps around the doors, fenders and hood are even.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Spend the $50 or what ever it costs to have a mechanic look at it, unless your a car guy yourself.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:38 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Make sure there aren't any odd vibrations in the steering wheel, make sure when you take your hands off the wheel at various speeds (20mph, 40mph, 60mph) that it drives straight. Ask if the title is clean. Check all your body seams, if the seam from the hood to the left headlight is wider than the hood to the right headlight, it's had some damage and sub-sequentially some shoddy bodywork. Uni-body cars are difficult to get straight after even minor collisions. Check your radiator core support for damage/straightness. It's the bar of metal that holds the top of the radiator in place. If that stuff all checks out, seems to be a solid car.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:28 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Listen closely to the engine. If you hear any knocking or pinging or clicking at idle, that's a bad sign. If you're not a car guy, might be worth it to find a couple three 2000 V6s and listen to them all. That way if you see, feel, or hear something out of the ordinary you'll know.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:30 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Listen closely to the engine. If you hear any knocking or pinging or clicking at idle, that's a bad sign. If you're not a car guy, might be worth it to find a couple three 2000 V6s and listen to them all. That way if you see, feel, or hear something out of the ordinary you'll know. Good rule of thumb when buying any car.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:22 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craig71springsport
Make sure there aren't any odd vibrations in the steering wheel, make sure when you take your hands off the wheel at various speeds (20mph, 40mph, 60mph) that it drives straight. Ask if the title is clean. Check all your body seams, if the seam from the hood to the left headlight is wider than the hood to the right headlight, it's had some damage and sub-sequentially some shoddy bodywork. Uni-body cars are difficult to get straight after even minor collisions. Check your radiator core support for damage/straightness. It's the bar of metal that holds the top of the radiator in place. If that stuff all checks out, seems to be a solid car.

Why would you ever take your hands off the wheel while driving!?
A safer way to tell if it's aligned in look for uneven wear on the front tires.

Quick Reply: Buying a used (and my first) Mustang