General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Possible upgrades to 2010 Mustang GT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 06:34 PM
wesman11

Default Possible upgrades to 2010 Mustang GT?

Okay so I have a 2010 ford mustang GT (obviously) it's bone stock so the possibilities are limitless. I have a few tech questions. Now I am no mechanic, but that doesn't mean I'm not tech savvy, I'm a fast learner. I know a general amount of information on cars, the usual amount a man should have, and I have a friend that has a mechanical shop that he works at. He teaches me and he seems to know his stuff and I have raised some possibilites that could be done to my car and he said it's possible. Now he hasn't worked on a mustang, he focuses on restoration, but has restored quite a few classic muscle cars, sadly none mustang related. So I would like a second opinion and I would like to hear it from the mustang community.

Now first and foremost all of these upgrades I have in question, I have already realized it can take some time and money, but I plan on doing the upgrades myself and of course with help with my mechanic friend. Now I'm quite young so time isn't a problem, I plan on keeping this car for the rest of my life and passing it down. For the money issue, that isn't a problem (I know that sounds conceited, but I don't want someone to say it's not possible simply because it costs to much) Now if I leave some details out like I forgot to mention something that needs to be added to make my idea possible, please tell me instead of saying it isn't possible because I forgot to mention those details. This is also a learning experience for me. Now also if someone decides to think that this process will cost to much time or money please don't tell me to just buy a car with those upgrades. That isn't the purpose of this, I want to make THE BEST mustang. I want to take it to the track but not turn it into a track car, I still want it to be a daily driver. (maybe later down the road it will become a weekend car because of how much I will take care of it) So the reason why I won't just buy a car with those upgrades is because I want to work for those upgrades. I want to drive my car and say to myself that I did that. I want that accomplishment. Nothing will make me happier then having my mustang smoke a car that someone purchased 10X more then what mine was, and then question themselves how could a simple mustang do that. I want to prove to people that it's hard work for your goal that beats just buying your goal.

So if you made it this far I must congratulate you for sticking with me. Now onto my questions. Now you could just imagine the disappointment that I had when I purchased my mustang to only find out that if I just waited another year I could get a much better stock car for the same price. So after doing some research and looking at the history of the modular engine I have wondered if the 2011 engine is the same as the 2010. Now what I mean by that is that they are both modular engines. Even though the 2011 is a 5.0 and the 2010 is 4.6 they are both worked on the same block. Even though the 5.0 is an aluminum block and the 2010 is cast iron it is still the same design. So could I just simply strip my 4.6 to its block and bore it to a 5.0 and then just add all the components thats on a 5.0? like the cylinder heads and pistons? what else would i have to put on? If you were to put all the things that are on a 5.0 onto my bored our 5.0 block would I be getting the same HP and torque results as a 2011? I don't want to do an engine swap because I want to have matching numbers, and I want to do the work.

Now my second question. I can't stand the live rear axle, that thing is a fossil. I have driven my fathers 08 Audi S6 and that thing drives smooth as butter. I could go 100 and it feels like im going 60. I want that in my car. So i figured out the reason behind that is because of a independent suspension system. Now I'm not sure how you would replace the system but it seems to have something to do with the axle. So would I be replacing my whole axle or only parts? So if I want to replace my live axle to independent it would only mess with my rear axle. But I want to go farther then that. Once I replace my live rear axle with IRS I would have a pretty smooth ride, but what if I were to put an independent suspension on my front axle? Would that make my mustang all wheel drive? or would I have to make some other modifications? or am I completely off? what would I have to do to make AWD possible? In my opinion I absolutely love AWD system, to me they are hands down the best.

Okay now this question is just pure theory, I have no idea if this is possible or not, but I could dream right? My mustang has the SYNC navigation display that comes optional. So I would like to know how useful I could make that display without completely messing with the operating system. Is it possible to keep the operating system in the display but simply add to it? like could I also make my touch screen display gauges? Could I also add it to read my 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc. kind of like whats on the 2013 dash but in my display? Basically turn my display into a tuner. Could I do all that and still keep the original operating system, or would that require some kind of electrical engineering? or not possible at all like I would have to upload a completely different operating system on that display? I want to be able to add those things and still pair my phone through Bluetooth to listen to tunes and talk to people handsfree. And I would like to still have my navigation.