General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help a girl out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 11:05 AM
ayegal23

Default Help a girl out?

Hi everybody.. Ive got a 99 GT 4.6 manual...so I have 2 questions.. #1.. the other day I was driving around town.. when I stop for any length of time my ac starts blowing hot..it started to overheat the car.. I turned the heat on full blast and everything went back to normal.. I stopped and got out at a store.. got back in the car.. started up and everything was normal again.. havent had the issue since..when Im driving everything is fine and blows cold.. any ideas?

#2.. I took my car to the shop.. my check engine light has been on for ohhhhh 5 years or so... Ive had it checked before.. was told it was an 02 censor.. everytime Ive had to get emissions I just get the chip wiped clean drive it a little and pass.. it eventually always comes back on.. but anyway.. I take it to the shop and they say I need a new "y pipe".. well me being not so very smart.. I start google searching y pipes on 4.6 mustangs.. eh no.. I have either an x pipe or an h pipe right? Should I be looking for h pipes or x pipes? What price range is normal?

Could the 2 issues be connected? Can a busted pipe cause a car to overheat? I had to get a new radiator fan recently too.. just at a loss here..
Old 06-02-2012, 11:18 AM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

A cracked pipe might cause your check engine light.

Air conditioners pull power away from the engine, and make it work harder to blow cold air. Sounds like you might need a new condenser. Most cars will blow colder at higher RPM due to the condenser spinning faster, and blow warmer at a stop, since you're just at idle rpm. But I wouldn't suspect it to blow straight hot. I'm assuming this problem doesn't happen when you have the AC off?
Old 06-02-2012, 12:52 PM
ayegal23

Rightio.. if the air isnt on and im stopped everything is fine.. Since that day I havent found myself in the same situation so it hasnt happened since.. Im just scared its going to happen again.. or be a costly fix.. as far as the pipe.. what kind of pipe should i be looking for? x h y? totally confused.. from what Ive read the y pipe is a 6 cyl thing.. true?
Old 06-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Your A/C issue could have been caused by the bad cooling fan. It wasn't pulling enough air to cool the engine and the A/C at the same time. Since you recently had the cooling fan replaced, this problem may have gone away.
Not sure about your exhaust issue except that you should get it fixed. There are many sensors that when inoperable can hurt performance & MPG by sending the Engine Control unit bad signals.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:38 PM
ayegal23

Ya the ac issue occured after I had the fan fixed.. so Im still not sure about that.. the pipe is for sure getting fixed next.. hopefully its nothing horribly expensive lol
Old 06-03-2012, 01:24 AM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

The "stock" mid-pipe is an "H" pipe. The pipes you are looking at online are most likely performance upgrade pipes fyi. since the stock diameter is about 2" or so, these upgrades are 2.5" pipe. Take it to an exhaust shop and see if they can weld the damaged pipe for you if you do not want to upgrade, (it seems to be easier to upgrade than find a stock one..lol), but have them tell you exactly where the problem is on the pipe; rather than you need to replace the pipe altogether.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:30 PM
ayegal23

Ya...I'm hopelessly in love with my car so I think the upgrade would be worth it...honestly the guy did explain what the issue was and why its better to just upgrade but I couldn't tell you what he said if my life depended on it lol...he suggested I go online to get the part rather than he get it because its cheaper so I've been looking around...any suggestions on something that wouldn't break the bank?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:07 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Your catalytic converters may have went bad, which would cause the o2 to have a code. Did they just say suttin is wrong with ur mid pipe or did they also mention the cats?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:46 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Your car came stock with an H pipe. If you want a raspier sound and a little bit better flow, go with an X pipe. If you want a deeper throatier sound, H pipe is the way to go.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:53 AM
ayegal23

I'm pretty certain he said my catalytic converters were bad and/or that the pipe had a crack...there is definitely a rattle so I'm thinking something in there is broken...I never really cared much about the check engine light but recently I've had to do quite a bit of random fixes..some more expensive than others.. I want to try and just get everything known fixed and try to keep this car for as long as it'll last...Iv wanted a pony since I was 3 so now that I finally theoretically have one I'd like to keep him happy lol

Quick Reply: Help a girl out?