General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hit something and something is wrong with the front end.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 05:11 PM
JohnnyScarecrow

Default Hit something and something is wrong with the front end.

I was driving on the highway at about 55 mph and hit a decent sized piece of debris I wasn't able to avoid. At first nothing felt wrong and I was very close to home so I kept going, but soon noticed I was having to give it more gas to keep up speed going up hills. Also, the first stop I got to it pulled hard to the right when I hit the brakes. When I pulled in the driveway there was white smoke coming from the left tire area. It could also have been coming from the right as well but the way the wind was blowing made it difficult to tell.

So what are the possibilities, and how bad am I screwed? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:40 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Hmm...white smoke is usually anti-freeze. The pulling to the right sounds like damaged brake components. If it pulls when you brake that means that the right is getting more force/locking up. Something getting bent with the suspension can't be ruled out, either.

Do you have working AC? That could be a torn refrigerant line, don't know what color that crap is when it comes out though. Good chance whatever it was bounced up in your belts and put a hole in your radiator.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:51 PM
JohnnyScarecrow

I been doing a bit of reading and I think the passenger side brake caliper is stuck, and the steering is pulling to the right because the passenger side braking isn't as effective since its hot. This happened about 3 miles from home so I hope I don't have to replace the rotor too, if this is what happened.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Tman5293

I would suggest that you just take it straight to a shop if it's in driving condition (although I wouldn't risk it if I were you) and if it isn't, then have it towed to the nearest mechanic.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:38 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Jack up the front of the car and turn the wheels by hand. You should be able to tell if the brakes are dragging or locked up.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:43 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyScarecrow
I was driving at about 55 mph and hit a decent sized piece of debris.....at first nothing felt wrong and I was very close to home so I kept going.
F A I L.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:10 PM
pandastang
1st Gear Member

Happened to me once, I hit debri and I didnt notice anything until I realized that my gas meter read halfway full (just filled up right before) so i jacked the car up and saw that I had a huge dent in the gas tank causing the floater to only show half way full. Best bet is to take a look and see what you can find. good luck.