General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to identify a BAD shop that you should NOT take your car to?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 11:51 PM
BLOWN05GT
1st Gear Member

Default How to identify a BAD shop that you should NOT take your car to?

Okay here's the deal:

I live in Des Moines, IA and there is only one dyno in the whole state and it is in Des Moines (that I know of or can find). They are Midstate Machine ( www.midstatemachine.com ) and they use a Mustang Dyno, but do not tune your car. They only run the Dyno to tell you your stats & the main part of their business is NOT dyno testing. Here is the first run I did about a month ago at MidState Machine:

2005 Mustang GT
Vortech Supercharger @ 8.5psi
3:90 Gears
327rwhp @ ~ 5,700 RPM

On September 16 I took my car to the Illinois Dyno Center on I-80 on the border of Iowa and Illinois ( www.illinoisdynocenter.com ) because they are a DiabloSport & Chipmaster Revolution Dealer and do performance Dyno tuning using either the chip or the predator flash tuner (which is what they used on my car). They are located about 8 miles from a 1/4 mile track in Cordova. They did a total of 4 runs (which I will later post all 4 on my website ( www.iowamustang.com/membercars/ ). After swapping my 3.8" pulley with a 3.6" pulley (putting me at 10.5psi instead of 8.5psi), the first run revealed 321rwhp @ ~ 5,500 RPM. Adjusting A/F with the predator the 2nd and 3rd runs were about 345rwhp and 370rwhp respectively. The 4th and final run revealed:

2005 Mustang GT
Vortech Supercharger @ 10.5psi
Predator Dyno Tune
3:90 Gears
411rwhp @ 5450 RPM

Just for fun, I decided to take my car back to MidState Machine to have a simple dyno test done today. I figured this would allow me to compare the two and be confident in the numbers that I am posting. Using the same parameters they did a month ago, the dyno test revealed 270rwhp @ 6,000rpm. They adjusted their parameters on the computer and the second run made 318rwhp @ 6,200 rpm when my rev limiter stopped the engine. Two more tests showed around 300rwhp and the graphs showed the hp still climbing at 6,200rpm when the engine kills the rpms. It is a father and son run shop...the father running the computer made the statement "...oh, changing your pulley is not going to give you more hp", and various ignorant statements like that. They then "simulated" a 1/4 mile run which had me at 14.2 @ 104mph with a 2.5 60 ft time. LOL stock '05 GT runs 13.5 and my car should be in the mid to low 12s (though I will say when he signaled I was at 1/4 mile I was at 6,100 rpm in 4th gear...so the 3:90s were a good ratio to go with). My 60ft times on our local 1/8 mile track are 2.0 (pre tune & pulley swap). These guys have to be smoking crack if they think a custom predator dyno tune and 2 more psi of boost will net you a LOSS of 15hp!!!

Illinois Dyno Center did their test & tune in 2nd? gear...when I mentioned 1:1 is 4th gear they assured me their computer can calibrate for any gear they run the test in. Dyno Testing & tuning being their bread and butter I shut up. MidState Machine said they can only run their test in the gear that is 1:1 which had me gunning it full throttle between 70mph and 120mph @ 4k - 6k rpm. I told MidState Machine that their numbers CANT be right and the father makes the comment "...yea people usually say their hp numbers are a little lower on our Dyno than on other dynos...its a heart breaker..." 110hp different "a little lower" ???!!!!! The father starts to write up a receipt for the dyno test (they charge $50) and the son stopped the dad and said "Well dad...I don't care what other dynos say he is running, but he should at LEAST be running similar numbers to what he did last time if not higher" [if not higher @ 2 extra psi?? yea I should think so]. The son then threw the receipt away and told me he was going to call Mustang Dynamometers tomorrow and would call me later. Without paying, I went home. (...oh yea, the father made the comment "...wow their dyno really shows a loss in rwhp at 5,800 rpm." I was like ummmm "...yea I am pretty sure that is because THEY LET OFF THE TROTTLE WHEN THE HP PEAKED AT 5500 RPM DUMBASS" ... okay so I didn't really say that but it is what I was thinking lol.)

Okay so here we are...wondering what numbers we are actually putting out. This is what I DO know: I remember the difference I felt before and after the supercharger was put on...a big difference! Stock '05 GTs run about 255rwhp and my original test on the Mustang Dyno had me at 327rwhp. This is a 72rwhp difference. Assuming a DYNOmite Dyno would reveal similar numbers to at Mustang Dyno, my pulley swap and tune added 84rwhp. Remember the difference I felt pre and post S/C?? I feel the same amount of difference pre and post pulley swap/tune. I feel the numbers the Illinois Dyno Center are showing are the real deal

Discuss...

[IMG]local://upfiles/20394/8961E29759024F688B60D744F76E2A8B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-22-2005, 04:20 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How to identify a BAD shop that you should NOT take your car to?

nice numbers, smooth power curve!

glad you found a good shop. i know of a couple bad ones around here...
Old 09-22-2005, 04:43 PM
blue1

i'm happy for you .
Old 09-22-2005, 06:15 PM
BLOWN05GT
1st Gear Member

Should i just assume that MidState Machine are a bunch a amateurs with a Dyno they don't know how to run? Should a rest easy with the assumption their dyno is broken or they are just incompetent?
Old 09-22-2005, 06:30 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Due to the fact that a Mustang Dyno uses an Eddy Current generator to place a load on the dyno and simulate real world conditions thier numbers are usually lower. However it does sound like that shop was run by a couple of clueless monkeys that could f-up a wet dream. What I would do is take the car the track and figure out the exact weight of the car and what the mph is, from there you can use a math formula to figure out what your rwhp should be, it will not be exact, but it will give a close idea and may be able to tell you what nubers are more accurite. I have never seen or used a Dyno-mite, but have used both a Mustang and a Dyno-Jet, one thing to remember is that dynos are very dependant upon the operator setting everthing up corectly and that includes putting the car on the right way.