General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power Control Mudule/Wiring Problem?? Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Sadis

Unhappy Power Control Mudule/Wiring Problem?? Please Help!!

Hi, I'm Mersadis. I recently purchased a 2004 Ford Mustang from a local auction in Arkansas. I"m a single mom and college student with little funds and little knowledge about cars. I had a friend come with me to the auction for help and was told the car was good. It only needed minor repairs including a new battery. I bought a new battery and took it for a test drive. That's when I realized it wouldn't catch speed on the freeway,speedometer isn't accurate. I took it to Ford dealership and he said the car was a stick and someone someone switched it to an automatic Why would anyone do that? But anyway they told me the PCM needed to be programmed to the transmission. I told them to go ahead to make a long story short. The PCM wouldn't take the program. They told me they could start looking into the transmission but it would get pricey. I declined because I told them what I knew about the car they charged me for a diagnostic test and the program that it didn't take and it didn't help. I don't have money to keep guessing because its pulling me in a bad situation . I need to know for sure. I took it to alot of mechanics 2 said it was the transmission. 1 said computer system and about 10 think it's a wiring problem and don't want to get involved. I finally found a transmission shop he's had my car for 3weeks and told me yesterday he can't fix it. I cried... Another 200 down the drain He said it's something to do with the pcm and wiring ...Anyone have any similar problems? Any suggestions?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Sadis

Anyone??
Old 07-05-2012, 02:47 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

This is a tough one...without being familiar with the car...and since you got it at auction, It wouldnt surprise me in the least that someone traded it in and the dealer decided to get rid of it. Is it a V8 or V6 engine? People swap transmissions out for any myriad of reasons, so it is entirely possible. The only thing i can suggest is going to a junkyard and finding a PCM out of an automatic mustang with the same engine and replacing yours with it..again with out looking at it hands on.
What exactly are the symptoms? Your description is a little vague.

You will have more luck I think reposting this in a section more tailored to your vehicle, Ie; if its a v6 put it in the 99-04 v6 section or if its a v8 put it in the 4.6L section. You will get more traffic and advice.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:48 AM
shawn88xx

Originally Posted by Sadis
Anyone??
i just got a 98 gt convertible over drive keeps malfunctioning and free wheels in neutraluntil buttons pushed and sometimes even have to drop down a gear and i have no idea what to do
Old 07-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Sadis

Its a v6 and its stuck in first gear. The speedometer isn't accurate. For an example when I'm goingv 30mph its says I'm going 100..and okay thanks for your help. I'll post it now!
Old 07-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Sadis

I figured out the problem. The previous owner switched the engine and transmission to an automatic but it still has the same ecu...Smh It has an automatic transmission and engine but a 3.9 computer system. Now I have to search for a computer system. Do you know what year mustang would be compatible with my car?? It an 2004 ford mustang v6. I tried to order it from autozone but they said it wouldnt work because they would need the vin number of the engine that was put in the car. I have no idea. I'll try to contact the dealer that sold me the car but since he's sold it he doesn't answer my calls much..