General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Console cigarette lighter and power outlet in 1997 V6 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Kate Wagner

Default Console cigarette lighter and power outlet in 1997 V6 Mustang

First, I'm new and this is my first post. Second, I don't smoke . Third, this is my first Mustang bought on my own without husband or boyfriend. Fourth, I'm OLD. LOL. Please help.

This isn't about lighting a cigarette it's about the penny the previous owner dropped into the console cigarette lighter. It burns out the fuse when I replace it immediately with a shower of little sparks and a crackle - not to mention the presence of that penny just drives me nuts. So, first, how do I remove the offending cigarette lighter so I can either replace it or try to dump the penny out. Yes, I've tried other ways to get it out but it fits tight in there.

Now,onto the power outlet. Is this outlet on the same fuse? I am charging my cell phone from the USB but need to charge my Nikon camera with a cigarette lighter charger. Now you see the problem...it's more than just an annoying penny.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:38 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

The safest way is 1. Disconnect the battery. 2. Find a Pick, a SMALL flathead screwdriver, a scratch awl or something to get in there and dig that penny out. This will be alot simpler than removing the console, but will take some patience. Disconnect the negative (-)(black) side of the battery, pretty sure its 10mm on a 97 MY. This way you dont get popped..After you get the penny out then install a new fuse, then reconnect the battery. In Automotive work, showers of sparks arent usually a good thing. I am not sure if they are on the same fuse or not, id have to measure out or look at a schematic, but alot of times they are on different fuses rated for different amps, Ie; one is for cigarette lighters only and the other is for cell phone chargers etc. Hope this helps, and sorry for the delay of a response!
Old 08-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

+1^^
I have also used a pencil with a dab of something sticky on the eraser end to pull out offending pennies. Kid's clay works or a dab of gooey glue like "goop".