General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

serious lack of power

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 05:59 PM
supergoslow

Default serious lack of power

What's going on everyone. I'm new to this site so forgive me if i posted in the wrong section.

I have an 86 mustang with an 88 5.0, edelbrock performer intake, holley 650dp, and msd 6al.

When i bought the car it just had an msd-6 with a torker intake and carter carb. I changed the intake and carb and still had my 6al off my firebird when i had it.

I put everything together and it ran great, then the next day started running like crap. Sounds like its missing on a few cylinders.

I checked the ohms on the accel coil and its not picking up anything so i swapped it out for an msd blaster 2 and still nothing.

Changed plugs, and threw some new wires on all the way around. Tested the msd box and everything is working fine. Carb is adjusted properly. This leads me to believe it has something to do with the old as$ distributor that's still in the engine. It's a magnetic pickup but was originally points.

I'm just looking for ideas, tests to run, or some pointers. this is my first ford, maybe theres something im missing. thanks for any help put forth
Old 08-06-2012, 06:30 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Distrubutor is a possibility...are you getting spark on all cylinders? Fuel filter clean, getting enough fuel? Timing where it should be? Id Also check the compression as well, just to be safe.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:07 PM
supergoslow

Originally Posted by stevednmc
Distrubutor is a possibility...are you getting spark on all cylinders? Fuel filter clean, getting enough fuel? Timing where it should be? Id Also check the compression as well, just to be safe.
i havent had time to check each individual cylinder for spark but when i pulled the old plugs there were a good three or four soaked in fuel.

fuel filters good, fuel pressure is where its gotta be and the carb is flawless. I checked the timing a few times and checked the wire routing over and over again.

hopefully this weekend ill get some time off and i can play around with it
Old 08-06-2012, 09:18 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

I would look at the spark on each cylinder then, If you have fuel fouled plugs you may have a dying distributor. Like to know what you find!