General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Drivetrain Strength?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Forced Air

Default Drivetrain Strength?

I've had my car for about a month now and am finally figuring out how to drive it. I'm getting better at my launches but I'm worried about just how much the drivetrain will take.

Do these cars have a habit of breaking input shafts, drive shafts, u-joints or rear ends?

The most that I've left the line at was 2,000 rpm. This is due to me worrying about catastrophic failure as well as traction on the street. Any guidance you guys can give would be great.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2012, 07:39 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

What kind of tires? I wouldn't worry about it too much at your torque level.. However, you should always prepare to pay to play.. If you want to race it, you need to be ready to fix it in the event something does happen since anything can happen.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Forced Air

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
What kind of tires? I wouldn't worry about it too much at your torque level.. However, you should always prepare to pay to play.. If you want to race it, you need to be ready to fix it in the event something does happen since anything can happen.
The tires are Nankang Ultra Sport II's. 275/35's. They were on the car when I bought it. Reviews are middle of the road as far as traction goes.

I'm not afraid to pay to play but sometimes it's cheaper to upgrade before parts are broken than it is to to a rebuild or replace.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:33 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

In my experience.. you should be fine launching with street tires. If you were using real sticky tires and putting all that torque directly on the drivetrain you could probably end up hurting something.. And I agree with upgrading things before they break but in the case of the transmission it would be the same price either way you look at it (except for the cost to tow the car home if it decides to grenade on the track). You could always beef it up a little, built 3650 and a good aluminum DS would run in the market of 2500 or so.. Some people worry about the rear end, I've never seen a problem with the stock 8.8 at levels under 500rwtq.. Really things to get too sketchy until you start wanting to stick and launching really hard.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Forced Air

Thanks for the info!

I feel a lot more comfortable now.