General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mustang GT as a tow vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 05:52 PM
AutoPart-Performance
Former Sponsor

I would not recommend it for the simple fact that your car is of unibody construction. It is not built for towing. The brake are not up to stopping it either. You can tow a lite trailer with it but would highly recommend against towing something as heavy as another car.

Last edited by AutoPart-Performance; 02-26-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:27 PM
13V6coupe
I drive a V6 because I'm a giant wimp

Took my enclosed 5x12 v-nose out to Virginia and back (3620 miles) with 2 motorcycles inside and some other gear, total weight #1980. Besides some isues bottoming out the foot about a dozen times on some of the rough mountain roads and maybe using up brake pad life of about 4 times that number of miles about the only negative experience at all was the 20.5 mpg I averaged for the trip. I did since get some stiffer springs front and rear but they also sit an inch lower. We'll see next time I am hooked up if it still can hit that tongue jack (it drags going down and up the driveway too) but on level ground it was 4" off the ground
Old 07-16-2013, 02:34 AM
tremman78

following this one, id like to tow my motorcycle
Old 09-15-2013, 06:41 PM
13V6coupe
I drive a V6 because I'm a giant wimp

Well the Eibach Pro springs are in- 3/4" drop is where they landed fresh after install and about 1000 miles later I checked them again and it was 7/8" lower than stock. I did put in an adjustable panhard bar and ended up shortening its length from oe length by 2 full turns to re-align the rear axle.

it hasn't changed the fuel mileage at all while trailering- but when not trailering it went up by .5mpg (average over approx 2000 miles,6 tanks of fuel)...which could be nothing or could be more since I can't say all other conditions were the same.

What it absolutely did change- that trailer foot that before only dragged a little on the driveway going up and down, hit for about 6' before-now solidly hits the concrete and is dragging nearly 15' longer than it did before.

The ride however when towing is actually much better, the stiffer spring rate works much better than the super preloaded soft stockers. And it isn't too bad even when running without the trailer. Noticeably firmer but not stiff.

I did get to the local track again too and the Eibach set up is far better than the stock "performance package" set up. Far less braking dive, body roll and I managed to run the course in 3 seconds less than I did when last there.

My tiny 4'x6' open trailer now sits perfectly level too, and that one I only lose 1.5mpg when towing 1 lone m/c. I find that a far better choice when I can use it and it only weighs #230 instead of #980 empty to empty plus the aero advantage of basically only the upper fairing of the bike being up in the wind rather than a 5' wide by almost 4' tall solid front wall of the enclosed trailer.

Back on point--I like the Eibach springs and they definately were worth the money spent and couple hours to install.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:41 PM
slowmotion

I know this is an old thread. For little stuff. I would have no issues with it my self. I used to tow a friends mustang on a trailer to the races often with my 79 pace car. I pulled the 302 out of the race car when it was stock and dropped it in my mustang. Then gave my turbo 2.3 and the doner car body to a friend to race. I had no issues till we loaded the car backwards one night. I almost rolled my mustang on a light corner. lucky for me the mustang was low and had a decent suspension under it. After that. My friend bought a real truck to tow with. I wasn't going to waste my good fortune by taking another chance towing like that.

https://i.imgur.com/Cr2UUf6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ivnjRAW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1bVI3sI.jpg

Last edited by slowmotion; 09-19-2013 at 09:42 PM. Reason: adding pictures
Old 09-29-2013, 10:05 PM
bruehlc
1st Gear Member

I had an S10 that did great with everything but pulling a car and it was a $500 truck
Old 10-02-2013, 08:07 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

As long as trailer / load weight is kept reasonable considering that the Mustang is a "car" .... the Mustang has more brake and more power and shorter rear overhang than many cars you wouldn't hesitate to pull with.

No, I would not pull a car trailer with car loaded, but a lighter trailer loaded with a motorcycle, even a Gold Wing ..... yeah ..... no problem.

My 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis pulls a trailer great and it has 2.76 rear gears in it's 8.8, a lower HP version 4.6 2v engine, more rear overhang acting like a longer lever for trailer weight to mess with you, and it has near about same brake size as the Mustang GT.

My 2008 Mustang GT has a more powerful 4.6 3v engine, lower 3.31 gears in it's 8.8 rear, as good brakes, shorter rear overhang which brings hitch connection closer to rear axle for better control (certainly mitigates the shorter wheel base).

In my case, I'ld probably be less likely to pull a trailer with a 5 spd than with an auto with cooler, but I would not hesitate to pull it if needed (U-Haul style single axle cargo trailer, with or without surge brakes) or desired (MC trailer or even smaller "Teardrop" Camper?).

As to rear suspension, one might wish to try Air-Lift air adjusted inserts in the rear coils. I have same on my Mercury Grand Marquis and when no load, I just remove the schrader valve core.

Pulling a trailer responsibly involves discretion, patience, anticipation, attention, and common sense. Slower speeds and more following room ahead and let gravity help you when it can be used to .....
Old 02-17-2019, 09:51 PM
Davis Powell

Default I'm wanting to tow a very light weight teardrop trailer off my mustang.

I'm wanting to tow a small teardrop trailer with my mustang (haven't bought yet) I'm sure it can tow something fairly light... just want to find a tow bar and have a look at how visible / invisible it is?

(This is so awesome! Haha

Originally Posted by Uncoolron
Maybe a half a car?

Attachment 70637
Old 03-24-2019, 02:11 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by slide9595
I have 2013 F-150 crew cab 6.5' bed, 4x4, 3.5 Ecoboost. It runs great. It's quick for a stock pick up truck. I tow a 12' dump trailer quite often and that motor shines. It's like a diesel. No mechanical problems with it.
Isn't that special.