General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Adding muscle to my 2010 V6...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 08:26 PM
2009 Eleanor
2nd Gear Member

get some gears...that will probably be the biggest change in the way your car performs
Old 01-17-2013, 08:31 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Gears on the stock 7.5 is just a waste of money IMO. By the time you spring for the gears and limited slip diff you've reached 8.8" GT takeoff range just from parts/labor costs.

And at least with the 8.8 you don't have to worry about anything breaking (unless you are much higher than stock/bolt-on power levels)
Old 01-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Baddjiujiu

Originally Posted by ZombieHuntr
SLP axleback is liked by many.....
Not bad, but I'd like the dual pipe look.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 AM
mcrider
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by THS_Steed06
Hey mcrider,

Do you have any sound clips or videos of this set up? I really like the idea of the pypes mid-muffler set up but the tone is still a bit too "350z" sounding for my taste. That one uses the x pipe and I wonder if that's why it doesn't have the deeper rumble like you describe on yours.

Also have you by chance dynoed this?

Thanks,

Tom
No, I don't have a clip of this, but I will try to get one on here for you. You are right about the X pipe sounding like a "350Z". The H pipe does not sound like that. Don't get me wrong, It won't exactly sound like a V8, but it does sound MUCH better than than most V6's. Just sitting and idling, you cannot tell it from a V8. I have had many people ask me if I am sure this is a V6 simply because of the sound! I have tried a couple of different kinds of mufflers and the cherry bomb glass pacs sound awesome! I have never had it dynoed, but I will tell you this; Just 2 weeks ago I had a guy in a newer Chevy pick up with a big V8 and loud dual exhausts picked a race with me from a stop light. Not only did I beat him, I completely embarassed him. I really Love my V6 mustang + it gets 28 MPG!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:36 PM
THS_Steed06
2nd Gear Member

Wow great! I can't wait to hear it. Most people I see around here have no mods or are 3.7L which have a different sound too.

Glad to hear you showed that bowtie some tail lights! I used to have a 4.6 GT so I know just how sweet they sound, and I've been patiently waiting for the right "recipie" to get the exhaust sounding just a bit better than stock. But stock (inside the car) sounds pretty damn good imo.

I was considering upgrading to a 2013 GT500 take off with dual tips but don't want the drone (I think that would look sick with the right rear valence
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 PM
mcrider
2nd Gear Member

I am going out of town tomorrow morning, so it will be monday at the earliest
Old 01-21-2013, 06:14 AM
THS_Steed06
2nd Gear Member

Sounds good to me...thanks very much!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM
mcrider
2nd Gear Member

Well, Im sorry THS. I have tried and tried to get a decent Video and sound clip for you, bur my crappy phone just wont cut it. The only other option I have is to try to get my daughter who lives 20 miles away to come make one for me with her samsung galaxy phone.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:28 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

It's been said a thousand times... sell your car and take the money you'll spend on a V6 to get it to run like a V8.... and actually buy a V8.

This makes sense because to get a V6 car to any respectable levels, you'll need:
1. Exhaust
2. Headers
3. Gears
4. Turbo or supercharger... along with this you'll need:
a. bigger injectors
b. bigger fuel pump
c. tune

Now go price how much all that's gonna cost.... then check Kelly Blue Book for your current V6 car and add them together. If that number is less than V8 Mustangs are selling in your area, I'd be surprised.

Just buy a V8 car and stop wasting time and money with your V6.... not only will you have the real thing, but you won't even have to turn a single wrench.

Last edited by capri debris; 01-23-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by capri debris
It's been said a thousand times... sell your car and take the money you'll spend on a V6 to get it to run like a V8.... and actually buy a V8.

This makes sense because to get a V6 car to any respectable levels, you'll need:
1. Exhaust
2. Headers
3. Gears
4. Turbo or supercharger... along with this you'll need:
a. bigger injectors
b. bigger fuel pump
c. tune

Now go price how much all that's gonna cost.... then check Kelly Blue Book for your current V6 car and add them together. If that number is less than V8 Mustangs are selling in your area, I'd be surprised.

Just buy a V8 car and stop wasting time and money with your V6.... not only will you have the real thing, but you won't even have to turn a single wrench.
There are several problems with this. The biggest one being, maybe he doesn't want a V8. Just because it makes more power doesn't mean it will suit OP's needs/wants. Maybe he needs decent gas mileage, which you might scoff at, but romp on a 4.0 and you still have a fragment of your wallet, you go nuts on a 4.6 and you will probably see your gas getting burned up MUCH faster.

Second, OP NEVER said he wanted the power of a V8. He said he would LIKE the rumble if possible. Big difference there. If you're the type of guy who would spend an extra $5-8K on a car just for the sound it makes stock then that's entirely your prerogative.

Stop wasting money on a V6? Since when did you get to decide what "wasting" money entails? Different strokes for different folks. Sentimental value may be a factor here. You think it's okay to dump money on a Mercury from the 80s? Some would object to that...

Now I'm not sure what prices are like where you live, but it cost me (at the time) far less to just get a few boltons to make my DD a fun car than it would cost to get a GT and have to not only foot the gas bill, but also the insurance bill (at 18-19 years of age the difference in ins. cost is quite drastic).

What if OP wants a "fun" corner carver? A few suspension mods and his current V6 could be pretty fun on some curvy roads. A GT would eat that mod money right up, and it would still float like a boat in the turns.

In short, telling someone to just "get a GT" is in no way of any help. It takes none of his existing conditions/preferences into account. Just because something has been repeated many times does not make it right.

Last edited by aaquib1992; 01-23-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Adding muscle to my 2010 V6...