General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

leaking injector

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 05:32 PM
biil9

Default leaking injector

i have one or more leaking injectors on an 89 5.0 donor engine for an ac cobra kit car. the motor is out of an 89 mustang and when i drained the oil it smelled real bad of gas and there was a hell of alot of oil and gas in there. i dont have hi tech equipment but is it possible for me to still somehow check it or do i have to find someone with diagnostic tools? appreciate any help guys.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:59 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Are you assuming you have a leaking fuel injector due to the gas smell? There are a lot of things that can cause fuel to get into the oil. For example, if a spark plug doesn’t fire or fires at the wrong time the fuel has got to go somewhere.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:00 AM
biil9

Originally Posted by petrock
Are you assuming you have a leaking fuel injector due to the gas smell? There are a lot of things that can cause fuel to get into the oil. For example, if a spark plug doesn’t fire or fires at the wrong time the fuel has got to go somewhere.
. Yes I'm assuming the injectors are the problem. All the plugs were gas soaked so it wasn't obvious as to which one could be misfiring.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 AM
BigWave916
1st Gear Member

I'd bet on leaking injectors. I'd look at the plugs, if the injectors are leaking the plugs won't show any evidence. If the plugs aren't firing, especially if it's enough to put a lot of gas in the oil, the plugs will show evidence of fouling.

Another thing you can do is pressurize the fuel rail and see how fast the pressure drops. I don't know what the specs are but you can probably find it in the service manual. If one or more injectors are leaking the pressure decay will be fairly rapid. If they are sealing the pressure will hold for quite a long time. Again, I don't know the specs but I'll look in my service manual tonight. It should be similar enough from car to car to diagnose a leaker/

OP: I was typing while you were posting so I didn't see your last message before I posted......you say all the plugs are wet with fuel? That would tell me all the injectors were leaking. I'd be worried that the rings and bearings in that motor are shot due to fuel dilliuting the oil. I wonder how long it was run with a lot of gasoline in the oil?

Last edited by BigWave916; 01-31-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:04 PM
biil9

Originally Posted by BigWave916
I'd bet on leaking injectors. I'd look at the plugs, if the injectors are leaking the plugs won't show any evidence. If the plugs aren't firing, especially if it's enough to put a lot of gas in the oil, the plugs will show evidence of fouling.

Another thing you can do is pressurize the fuel rail and see how fast the pressure drops. I don't know what the specs are but you can probably find it in the service manual. If one or more injectors are leaking the pressure decay will be fairly rapid. If they are sealing the pressure will hold for quite a long time. Again, I don't know the specs but I'll look in my service manual tonight. It should be similar enough from car to car to diagnose a leaker/

OP: I was typing while you were posting so I didn't see your last message before I posted......you say all the plugs are wet with fuel? That would tell me all the injectors were leaking. I'd be worried that the rings and bearings in that motor are shot due to fuel dilliuting the oil. I wonder how long it was run with a lot of gasoline in the oil?
thank you for your reply. i cant pressurize the line because the engine hasnt gone back in the car yet. soon though. the car wasnt run for long at all since it was first put in. when i was given the project to finish, i noticed alot of oil came out and that it smelled of gas. bad. i hope there is nothing wrong with the internals. at least for the guy whose car ir is. thank you again for your time