General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question for Mustang Owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Mysticessence

Thank you all for any help with this issue. We already replaced the fuel filter already. Thought about the fuel pump possibly being the culprit since the car is 7yrs old. How do I test the fuel pump and would it throw a P2401 DTM code
Old 02-20-2013, 04:46 PM
2000 blk gt

I have a 00 gt with 74k on it. I love it never getting rid of it. After one test drive youll be in love.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:33 PM
inkdemon
1st Gear Member

Not sure about codes, or testing it, but if and when it does go, you'll know. And if its getting lazy/on its way out, shouldn't be long. Even though you've replaced the filter, i'd still recomend dropping it and see if it's plugged. Especiallyif the car has been allowed to run below quarter tank or close to empty a time or two, as it will get the crap at the bottom of the tank sent through the lines.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:59 AM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

with good maintanance 100k not a problem..good luck with your car hunting
Old 02-24-2013, 05:56 PM
99eric

i have a 99 gt 150.000 miles on it with no problems. and i bet the hell out of it. love my mustang. my son has a 2000 v6 with 90.000miles on it no problems

Posted from MustangForums.com App for Android
Old 02-25-2013, 10:36 AM
AutoPart-Performance
Former Sponsor

I don't think you will have any problem finding a Mustang in your price range. I would be extra careful to inspect the car for water damage! With hurricane Sandy hitting your area not too long ago a lot of cars were flooded and then fixed. If you end up with one of these cars you're pretty much out of luck.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:05 AM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Hey guys, reviving this thread a little. I got accepted for a loan at my CU, so I'm ready to look for a new car. I'm still considering the GT, even though it looks like I'll realistically get 18-19 mpg, which is a 3 mpg loss or so off of my Camry now. Not terrible, but when considering I could get 25-30 in different cars, it does make a difference.

However, disregarding that, as I believe the Mustang has a feel like no other, my other concern is that I'm a motorcycle guy as well and that will be my go-to mode of transportation for the months between May-October here in NY. So most of the 'glory months' I guess you'd call 'em will be spent on my bike, not in the Stang.

That would leave the worst months, Nov-April, for my car, naturally. This is why I'm hesitant on pulling the trigger on a GT. Most days, I drive my car if its adverse weather, aka rainy/snowy/windy as hell/cold. Those are like the complete opposite days that most people like to take their Stangs out.

I'm leaning toward getting a regular car simply because my "summer" or fun vehicle is a sportbike. I know the decision is ultimately up to me. But, does anyone have any opinions?
Old 03-07-2013, 12:14 AM
NavyGSCM
1st Gear Member

I'm averaging 21 in my 2013 GT all around driving and romping it on the HWY ramps...
Old 03-12-2013, 12:18 PM
07CSstang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mysticessence
Cheers, all. New here and have a tech question. A good friend of mine has been having a problem with his 2005 V6 Mustang dying while parked or driving for no apparent or obvious reason. No pattern of driving or not driving to pinpoint a cause; checked and changed fuel tank cap, ran an OBD2 in the past even though no idiot lights had went off and no codes jumped. Til recent; now there's a P2401, Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit Low, Vacuum Pump Stuck Off. If anyone has an idea of where we should look next or what might be our cause and if the dying or stalling can be a symptom that would be great. Thinking evap. canister maybe and a vacuum pump problem?
I could be wrong, but my first thought is the alternator. When mine went out, the car would die at idle and died once going down the access road. It never threw any codes, but I'd lose the radio, brakes, power steering, etc and then it would die.

Originally Posted by mustangspotential
Hey guys, reviving this thread a little. I got accepted for a loan at my CU, so I'm ready to look for a new car. I'm still considering the GT, even though it looks like I'll realistically get 18-19 mpg, which is a 3 mpg loss or so off of my Camry now. Not terrible, but when considering I could get 25-30 in different cars, it does make a difference.

However, disregarding that, as I believe the Mustang has a feel like no other, my other concern is that I'm a motorcycle guy as well and that will be my go-to mode of transportation for the months between May-October here in NY. So most of the 'glory months' I guess you'd call 'em will be spent on my bike, not in the Stang.

That would leave the worst months, Nov-April, for my car, naturally. This is why I'm hesitant on pulling the trigger on a GT. Most days, I drive my car if its adverse weather, aka rainy/snowy/windy as hell/cold. Those are like the complete opposite days that most people like to take their Stangs out.

I'm leaning toward getting a regular car simply because my "summer" or fun vehicle is a sportbike. I know the decision is ultimately up to me. But, does anyone have any opinions?
Ultimately the decision is up to you. If you're anything like me though, I would regret giving up the car I want when I had the opportunity to get it.

I get about 18 in town and 22 on the highway. You could consider a programmer for a little extra mpg.

One thing to consider...since you will be on your bike so much, will one or two mpg really matter too much? If you're only driving the stang a few months of the year, the difference in fuel cost from a "normal" car would be minimal. The pay off from getting the other car may only be a few extra bucks a month that stays in your pocket.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:50 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

I'm getting an average 19 MPG. But I do a lot of just cruising around, no commuting. Just hwy mileage runs around 27.

Quick Reply: Question for Mustang Owners