General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

6 Reasons to use an aluminum transmission pan over a steel pan

Old 02-26-2013, 07:03 AM
AutoPart-Performance
Former Sponsor

Default 6 Reasons to use an aluminum transmission pan over a steel pan

Hi all. I just wrote this tech piece. My apologies in advance if I violate an forum rules. I hope of you find it helpful!

6 REASONS FOR USING AN ALUMINUM TRANSMISSION PAN OVER A STOCK STEEL PAN

Here is something you don’t hear people talk about every day; Why should I use an aluminum transmission pan instead of a steel one? Well, we’re going to give you five good reasons to get one!

1) Hold more fluid: Most aluminum pans are deeper that stock pans and therefor hold more transmission fluid. This helps keep you fluid cooler and helps the fluid last a little longer in between oil changes. The deep pans also are great for auto crossing since they tend not to get sucked dry as easily as stock pans.
2) Cooling fins: Most aluminum pans have built in cooling fins. While most people probably think they are for looks only, they actually provide more air to surface contact which helps dissipate the heat in the transmission.
3) Strength: stock stamped steel pans are flimsy. They do almost nothing to help strengthen the transmission. Aluminum pans are very thick and rugged. They actually help strengthen the case in the same way an engine girdle does.
4) Lightweight: Although this might not be a big advantage, aluminum pans are lighter that a steel pan of the same size and thickness.
5) Sheds more heat: Aluminum, by its natural properties, dissipates heat much better than steel. This will help the transmission run cooler.
6) Drain plug: Most aluminum pans come with a drain plug. Most factory steel pans do not. Have you ever changed your own transmission fluid? You’ll appreciate the quickness and lack of mess involved in changing the fluid when you have a pan with a drain plug!

Don’t have an aluminum pan yet? What are you waiting for? Places like www.autopart-performance.com carry pans from the likes of B&M and TCI. They are relatively inexpensive and the benefits per dollar spent are well worth it!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:20 PM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

plus they look cool ! lol