General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Yet another Forced Induction thread (Supercharger)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Sterling302
1st Gear Member

Default Yet another Forced Induction thread (Supercharger)

I understand everyone may be tired of hearing about superchargers and turbos by now, but all my research has lead me all around my question, but nobody has hit the nail on the head yet. The question is simply this: I want a centrifugal supercharger. I've done that research, and I THINK I want to go Paxton. My question is this: I need a fuel pump, new injectors, the supercharger itself, an intake to mount it all up to, and of course the mounting hardware. There may be more than that but for the sake of the question bare with me. Can I slowly buy the parts over time? Maybe throw a pump on there one month, then the injectors, then the intake, then save for a few months and get the Paxton? It's just such a financial hit. If I can't go slowly but surely, I wont do it at all. Thanks for any input
Old 03-02-2013, 03:46 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Get financed for a supercharger

Put at least half down as soon as possible. Pay off the rest.

DO NOT skimp or rush when it comes to a supercharger kit. Been there, done that.

And no, you cannot add one piece at a time. It makes no sense, unless you plan on doing the entire kit as a tuner kit or lower psi kit then upgrading the kit all at once.

The components you mentioned are a part of the bigger picture not to be installed one at a time. For my car, I planned on doing an upgraded fuel pump and pinning the crank, but only a few weeks before the entire kit. As to reduce the overall time of the install of the entire kit.

I owned a V3 ho kit on my 08 Mustang GT and it started with a non-intercooled 8 psi kit then upgraded to a intercooled high output 10 psi kit. I should have done it all in one shot!
Old 03-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Sterling302
1st Gear Member

I really appreciate your input. I like the Paxton kits because I've seen 360-70 hp cars reach 600 horse, and I dynoed at 402 so I'm already at a slight advantage. I'd love to see the 600 or 650 mark on my daily driver. I've seen paxton for as little as 3k and as much as 6....if you went centrifugal, about how much did it run you? I'm staying away from the spray.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:55 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Thanks

Not sure, but I think the norm would be around 550-570whp for the 5.0 and more with long tubes, high flow cats/no cats etc.

The kit I ran was a V3 8 psi non-intercooled for $3,895 and then $1,595 for the intercooler and 10 psi. It made nowhere near 600whp,but it did hit the 500whp mark with a more aggressive 93 octane tune and 10 psi. I never got to run it on the new tune due to rain out and the end of the season. I also sold it soon after!

With the 5.0, you're gonna really like all that new found boost. Going from bolt ons to 8 psi was a big difference, but to 10 psi was a HUGE difference. Even with just a 93 re-tune which gave me another 50 or so whp was the most dramatic, especially in a 3400 lb. car.

If you do the work yourself, it's ridiculously easy to install. Most centri kits are
Old 03-02-2013, 03:13 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

PS
Positive displacement blowers are more expensive but make a monstrous amount of torque at a very low rpm (3200-3500 or so depending on the motor). Might want to check those out as well.

I think the newer Paxton kits for the 5.0 use an oil tap system for the blower, which taps into the motors oil pan to lubricate the blower unit. Not sure how comfortable you are with that, some people aren't and like self lubricated units where the oil is self contained in the blower. I don't like the oil tap ones because engine oil, when older gets all that sludge and metal shavings etc. into the oil thus gets transferred into the blower lubrication unit. Long term, it might cause issues more often than not. Just something to consider.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:11 AM
Sterling302
1st Gear Member

Once again thanks for the details. I noticed in your sig you had a mopar. I'm a Ford guy but I love a good hemi Also I found a Self Lubricating kit for the Paxton, and you're right. I was very not ok with running a line from my Oil Pan. Not sure if I can pull the trigger on the long tubes. I really thought I knew about my exhaust system seeing as to how I installed my axlebacks myself, and while I was down there I figured I may as well check out the rest of the exhaust system. I'm really lost now, so if you know of a diagram that I could check out that would be great. If I wanted to go down the route of long tubes, I would get a shorty offroad x correct? Seems to be the only thing I do know about. And referring to your first post about financing the supercharger, can you elaborate? I don't deal much with the bank other than my car loan, but will they just loan me the 6 bills to drop a supercharger in? I can put 1k down, finance 5k for however long and just pay on it per month? What kind of interest rates do you get on loans like that? I have millions of questions but this is the only site I can come to where im at least 75% sure the people know what they are talking about haha.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:09 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

No problem

click on the 0% financing box to view details.

http://www.brenspeed.com/421142.html#0%%20Financing

Convenient 0% interest Financing Available!

We know how hard it can be to come up with a large amount of money to get that Mustang part you have been wanting. To help solve this problem we have found a great way to get your part now and pay later. Brenspeed can now offer financing options for your performance part and even installation!

The process is simple. Just call us and we can go over your options and how to get 3 months, 6 months, or even 12 months same as cash with 0% interest. Now you can get that intake and tuner or even supercharger now and pay for it later. Even if you do not choose to pay the financing off in say 3, 6, or 12 months GE Money will turn your 3, 6, or 12 month same as cash into a monthly payment with a set interest rate.

The entire approval process only takes 5 minutes once we receive your application. Once you are approved we provide you with your product or service immediately. Call us to receive an application and get all the details on this easy to use financing option.

Call us at 574.594.9559 and simply ask for a financing application. We can answer any further questions you may have at that time.

I bought 90% for my 2008 Mustang GT parts from those guys. Excellent customer service and great prices! Give them a call. I am sure they can work something out!

Not sure about the parts you're looking for in terms of exhaust, but I think you're correct about the shortie x pipe (due to the length of the long tubes). I don't know of any diagrams but you could try google images for the underside of a 5.0
As far as the oil feed tube from the motor, not worried so much about the tubing but more so of sharing the same oil from the motor as described in my earlier post. I added a link for the M2300 Roush supercharger. I think you'd be a lot happier with it. The Vortech I had was fast, but it had no torque! that Roush should make about 500-550lbs. of torque right off 3500-3800 rpm. I am getting a 2300 Magnacharger for my car as well very soon.

The Hemi is indeed a great motor. I had an 08 Mustang GT before this car, and I have to say, the 5.7 is a monster off the line with its AWD! I never seen myself in a Dodge Charger, but I am glad I got one
Old 03-09-2013, 07:48 PM
hue001t

good site