General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lowering spring/struts+shocks compatibility Q?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 10:37 AM
SteamyCoffee88

Default Lowering spring/struts+shocks compatibility Q?

I have been doing quite a bit of rooting around for answers or tips on what struts/shocks to go with lowering springs and haven't found any answers that I'd like to make sure I'd be performing the job correctly. I have a 2001 GT and, for monetary sake, have decided that soon I'm going to acquire some SR Lowering Springs from American Muscle. My question is, what kind of shocks should I be looking for? I found some Gabriel Ultras from my local auto parts store for about $160 all 4. (2 struts/2 shocks) But since these are basically OE replacements, will they support the 1.5" drop from the SR springs? Or will these be bottoming out like mad all over the place? (My Mustang is my daily.)
I was trying to find info on, say compression ration, or stance height supported, or something to clue me in on how to root out the good choices from the bad, (as you can see, slightly new to all this) but to no avail. So I have turned to your guys' expertise.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:32 AM
96t-bird
5th Gear Member

Hi, look at the official suspension guide. Written by Jazzer the Cat ,good info give you a good starting point.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:48 AM
SteamyCoffee88

Wow, that was exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:10 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SteamyCoffee88
I have been doing quite a bit of rooting around for answers or tips on what struts/shocks to go with lowering springs and haven't found any answers that I'd like to make sure I'd be performing the job correctly. I have a 2001 GT and, for monetary sake, have decided that soon I'm going to acquire some SR Lowering Springs from American Muscle. My question is, what kind of shocks should I be looking for? I found some Gabriel Ultras from my local auto parts store for about $160 all 4. (2 struts/2 shocks) But since these are basically OE replacements, will they support the 1.5" drop from the SR springs? Or will these be bottoming out like mad all over the place? (My Mustang is my daily.)
I was trying to find info on, say compression ration, or stance height supported, or something to clue me in on how to root out the good choices from the bad, (as you can see, slightly new to all this) but to no avail. So I have turned to your guys' expertise.
The SR Performance springs are awesome and definitely one of our most popular lowering springs. Since they have a great Spring rate I would imagine they would go fine with that Strut/Shock set up you listed. However, I have no experience with that particular item so I can't speak for them.

However, if you're looking for an awesome suspension set up I would look into a Koni, Billstein or Tokico Strut/Shock set up!

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance, we'd be happy to further assist you!

-Dan