Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > General Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by NewTakeOff

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
bchea

Vehicle: 2004 Ford Mustang 40th Aniversary
Post Key Cutting?

just recently bought my mustang from an auction house but it only came with one key. My key has a transistor in it and I wanted to get it copied but it costs like $75+ to get it copied. If I buy my own blank transistor key online is there a store that will copy it for me for cheaper?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
bchea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 01 Cobra

Since you only have one key, you only have two choices for getting the key programmed to the car. Dealer or locksmith. You could buy a blank key online and get it cut, but it will not start the car.
DRAGUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
engineer520

Vehicle: 1998 Ford Mustang GT conv.

I just did the same thing. I only got one key with the car, so I have to go to the dealer to get it cut and have it programed. It cost me $98.00. Don't the key from the dealer for 35-45 bucks when you can buy one on E-bay for around $14.00 hope this helps. Jerry
engineer520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 94 Cobra

Js88lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:11 AM   #5
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 04 GT vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUL View Post
Since you only have one key, you only have two choices for getting the key programmed to the car. Dealer or locksmith. You could buy a blank key online and get it cut, but it will not start the car.
Read the above again....

I don't remember exactly which year it changed (98, 99 maybe), but for an 04 you need 2 working keys to do it yourself; with only 1 working key, you have to have a special doodad to program a key to the car.
So call around to some dealers and locksmiths and ask them how much to program a key that you provide as opposed to them providing the key also.
FlamingoGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
dante2

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Mustang convertible

I bought 2 of these from Ikeyless for under $13 shipped. Had a mobile locksmith cut and program for $65. I also got 2 fobs from Discount Keyless for about $10 shipped. Got both programmed in about 2 minutes. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
dante2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
iBones

Vehicle: 2004 Ford Mustang V6 3.9L

Iv'e heard for some of the older cars, Advanced Auto could help you out. Either that, or as mentioned, buy a cheap key off ebay and have the dealership program it.
iBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:26 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement