General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

My Jerk-Face neighbor just hit my car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Cristoff
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ditty
I've never said two words to these people. We ignore them 99.9% of the time.

I've come to the realization that there is nothing I can do to actually FIX my car, so I'm making all of the noise I possibly can to keep them awake and I'm not violating any noise ordinances or codes. Heck, the Cops told me that as long as I don't mess with their property, there is nothing that can be done. They can say that I'm harassing them, but I'm in the middle of doing work in the house and I have to use the saw, hammer etc and the g/f wants me to hang pictures. It's not my fault that I'm not very good with a hammer and I miss the nail 99.9% of the time.
AmyHughes is absolutely right. The highlighted actions described above are the main reasons that you are having trouble with your neighbors.

Take the high ground, drop the angry attitude, and approach them as an intelligent adult and I'll bet you get much more respect in return.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:54 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

He has already tried the high road & has gotten him nowhere. Harass the crap out of them & hide your car.
Warning, this could escalate into something more serious but I understand you are getting harassed as you are. GL op.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

Here you go OP. check this out.

http://m.mustangforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=688223

I have a good idea who did it. It cost $500 cash out of pocket. So believe me I know how you feel. Actually I'm still pizzed off. I didn't start a war.

So when your next post says: My jerk face neighbor just sugared my gas tank!
Or My jerk face neighbor just keyed my car!
Or My jerk face neighbor just poured brake fluid over
my hood!

The only advice I will give at that time is: subscribed!
Old 06-08-2013, 03:51 AM
mith
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
This. Technically he left the scene of a accident by not leaving his info, or contacting you.

Matthew
In California, one is required to leave some type of note indicating that they hit your car. However, in your case... the "suspect" is denying ever having hit your car. So in civil litigation, you probably need an independent witness to prove your case. This is going to turn into a, "he said, she said" case.

Re having a police report... every department has different, "policies". In the case of LAPD, they won't even respond to a traffic collision unless there's an injury, or damage to city/county property.

I recently had an accident. I T-boned a raised center median. I wasn't paying attention (trying to look at my phone's GPS LOL). I called the local police dept. and they responded. When I was talking to the dispatcher, they asked me if I was an off-duty officer (which I was at the time). I said yes. Long story short, the officer didn't need to take a report. I only called them so they could block traffic so I could get my car (Honda) off of the median which I was able to do.

I never reported this to my ins. company because I didn't want my ins rates to go up. I ended up paying about $2,000 to have the damage fixed. My point is, IMO... more often than not, it's is better for you, in the long run, to just pay to have anything that happens to your car and not report it.

In California, the only mandated thing required by the DMV is that if the damage is over a certain amount (used to be around $700... now it's over $1,000 I think), you have to report it.

Sorry your A-hole neighbor hit your car. That really sucks! You can always take him to small claims court to recover any damages/legal costs etc... but like I said.... you probably need an independent witness to win your case.

Glad you didn't go out and beat him with a golf club.... that would have been a bad decision. It's one thing to have an accident and take responsibility for your mistake... but it's another to have an accident and deny it! He SHOULD have been beaten in your case, but it's NOT worth you going to jail for it....
Old 06-08-2013, 04:46 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Unbelievable thread, I get the problem, just not the solutions. This is the America
we live in now. Sad, glad I'm almost 55. I'm semi retired, can enjoy the twisty's &
fish the bay for trout & redfish. Go take a nap, you'll feel better.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:55 AM
mith
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by audioAl
Unbelievable thread, I get the problem, just not the solutions. This is the America
we live in now. Sad, glad I'm almost 55. I'm semi retired, can enjoy the twisty's &
fish the bay for trout & redfish. Go take a nap, you'll feel better.
This could be an example of, "bite your nose to spite your face". It's never worth losing your temper just to make you feel good. I'm a jailer with LACO... and trust me, jail is not fun!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:02 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

I would go after the person who owns the mini van. The insurance policy if the minivan has one, insures the vehicle not the driver.

Last edited by DRAGUL; 06-08-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by amyhughes
But if you're going to wake them up, do it this way...

Put a piece of wood up against your shared wall, quietly, and then whack it with a hammer. The objective is for a single, short-duration noise. They might not know what woke them up, and if they do remember the noise, what the hell could it have been? Don't do it so often that they figure it out.

FWIW I don't know if this actually works, and in fact they'll probably figure it out. You shouldn't actually do it
Already do that. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I understand all of you suggesting trying to be civil to these people, and believe me, my g/f and I have tried....a lot! They just don't care and have basically made enemies with everyone on our street.

Remember, these are the SAME people, that w/out provocation, fed my dog chicken bones where he almost choked and we had to take him to the vet. The next day, without us saying anything or even knowing that they were the ones that did it, the one girl comes out and comments, "Oh, I guess you CAN give dogs chicken bones and they won't die." I know it isn't REALLY a confession of the incident, but no one knew about it but us, we didn't tell anyone about it.

I'm now going to just lay down for these people anymore. I've bitten my tongue more than I care to. I am not going to do anything illegal and have already consulted with Baltimore City Police and my lawyer. Basically, I have to suck it up and deal with it, and if anything else happens to my vehicle, they are suspect #1. I'm not going to touch or get anywhere near the vehicle they drive or their property. I'm going the legal route and I'm going to make as much noise as possible to limit their sleep until I feel like they've lost an equal amount of sleep compared to the damage to my car. Again, I've already notified the police and I mentioned my intentions and i was told that making noise is perfectly legal as long as it's between 6am-10pm Sunday through Thursday and 6am-11pm Friday and Saturday.

Last edited by Ditty; 06-10-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
I would go after the person who owns the mini van. The insurance policy if the minivan has one, insures the vehicle not the driver.
Insurance follows the driver, not the vehicle. Even if the vehicle is covered, if someone other than the owner is driving and has an accident, the driver's insurance covers the damages between the three insurance companies. The driver is not insured and the estimated damage is about what my deductible is, therefore, I'm still stuck with getting it repaired and run the risk of my coverage getting dropped, even though I wasn't even in the car at the time of the accident.

Also, for those complaining that it's my fault b/c we have street parking.....where do you suggest that I park? There isn't any other parking. I don't have a driveway or garage....(wish I did though). This simply comes down to people; A) Not taking responsibility for their actions and B) Not having respect for other peoples property.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:56 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Dude, I don't care if the police have "better things to do", at least call in and say you want to file a hit and run report and that you have the license plate of the vehicle that did the damage. It's okay if they only take the report over the phone and don't follow up in person, just get the case/report number. Next, take them to small claims and get a judgement against them, produce the report number and of coursepictures and you girlfriend as a witness. Then put a mechanics lean on the minivan and sell it.

Quick Reply: My Jerk-Face neighbor just hit my car!!!