Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > General Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by NewTakeOff

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
J.W. Harwell

Vehicle: 1996 Ford Mustang GT
Default New forum member seeks advice

I have a 1996 GT convertible that I have owned for more than ten years. I have enjoyed the car but would like to make some minor modifications to it, and would appreciate any guidance other forum members may have regarding the following.

1. Mufflers. I put a set of Flowmasters on the car several years ago, and that was a huge mistake. I am planning to go back to the stock mufflers as the drone from the Flowmasters at any speed faster than 60 is deafening. Any suggestions for other mufflers I should consider?

2. Brakes. The car has seemed badly under braked the entire time I have owned it. I am considering replacing the rotors with something larger, and would appreciate suggestions.

3. Ride height. From a purely asthetic perspective, there is too much room between the tires and the fenders. I would like to lower the car by an inch or so to close that gap, but don't want to hurt the ride quality.

4. Power. The car sounds good and runs good, but is totally stock and could use more power. I would consider mild modifications but don't not want to undertake a major mechanical projects that would take lots of time and money and possibly affect reliability (i.e., no cams or headers).

Thanks for your help.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
J.W. Harwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Mustang GT Vert

1. Everybody has their own ideas about mufflers, and truth is there are just way too many flavors to choose from. This also depends on the exhaust set up as a whole, not to mention gearing. If you want quiet, then by al means go ahead and get a stock replacement muffler. If I'm not mistaken, flowmaster, magnaflow and the like all make stock replacement sounding mufflers as well as the performance mufflers.

2. For the brakes, Id try ugrading the brake lines and getting performance pads before upgrading the rotors and all that. Here is an excellent write up:http://mustangforums.com/forum/wheel...wing-down.html

3. A lot of people (myself included) agree about the aesthetics of the suspension set up. No matter what you do however, there will be a trade-off for some ride quality on some level. There are however some mild lowering springs that will not make too much of an impact on ride quality. Don't go more than 1.5 inches, or it will be noticeable for sure, plus C/C plates would then be a must for alignment. Although they aren't a bad idea on a stock ride height car either.

4. Any mild modification will net you nearly nothing on these engines. Your best bet would be a PI upgrade, but that means upgrading the heads, cams and intake to the 99-04 versions. Consider upgrading the gears. This will be your best "seat of the pants" upgrade. You will feel it for sure, but it leaves your engine alone. There are lots of different ratios available. Take a look at Americanmuscle.com. TONS of options there, plus you get a 6 percent discount for being a forum member here! Hope this helps, and Welcome to the MF!
Steeda CAI/ Borla Catback/Magnaflow Catted X/Mach1 Grille delete,chin spoiler/Brenspeed tune/Billet handles, switches, trim ring,Fuel door/Smoked Halo headlights with HID/Smoked LED taillights,3rd Brakelight,fogs/Simco gauges/AC overlay/tinted sidemarkers/BBKTB/trickflow plenum/riser/FRPP shift ****/24lb injectors/4.10's/Koni Shocks/Vogtland Springs/MGW Short shifter/Styling Bar
stevednmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
96t-bird
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 01,Mustang,GT

Hi, welcome. + 1 on your choices.
01 GT, True Blue,auto,CAI,CDC shaker,70MM TB,PP upper intake,PP Typhoon lower intake,21 lb injectors,Blue Hi-temp hoses,Steeda coil springs,Koni struts,stock sub-frame connectors,Flowmaster catback,Mach 1 delete grill Member #120
96t-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:36 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement