General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Head Rest removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Jim Henderson

Default Head Rest removal

Hey everybody , Happy Fathers Day to all you fantastic Fathers and Step Fathers .
My son got me a very nice set of seat covers , and I'd love to install them but I need to figure out how to first remove the head rests ????
Can any one let me know how , I've looked but see no release button any where ???
Old 06-16-2013, 08:53 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

There isn't a release button. There are several ways to go about it...
1. Try sliding a long piece of flat steel down the tongue of the headrest until you reach the spring loaded retainer, pull the headrest and at the same time pull the "slim jim" until the head rest pops out(didn't work for me)

2. Remove the material covering the seat and access it that way (a lot of work I think)

3. Raise the headrest all the way up. twist the head rest back and forth while pulling up at the same time. Eventually it will come out. I did it this way and it wasn't too bad. Inserted the headrest back into the seat and it locked in no prob. Just don't go nuts on it, it will pop out.

These aren't stock for the 94-04 mustang but the mounting concept is the same..in fact they can be used in the sn95 seats without issue, but to give you an idea:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/halo-head...2-2004/p/HRHB/

Last edited by stevednmc; 06-16-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Jim Henderson

Thanks Steve , I'll try which ever works , and hope I don't break any thing . I think got a piece of thin flat stuff that ust may do the trick, I'll try to Video the procedure and put it up , just in case any one else needs to try it.