General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

what can I do about my chrome rims in the snowy winter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 09:42 AM
zentin
Banned

Default what can I do about my chrome rims in the snowy winter?

got some chrome rims 17" on my mustang but then I found out that the salt for snow in winter time will ruin my rims Some people recommended that I buy a set of cheap wheels for the winter, but I live in a apartment and have no place to stock my rims for the 6 months of snow we have here in MN.

What else can I do? If i put the wheel protectant spray from autozone, will that be good enough? what other options do I have?

thanks
Old 06-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

I deal with Rocky Mountain winters and recommend:

Clean your chrome wheels often with CAR WASH SOAP, not some acidic wheel cleaner.

Keep a coat of sealant / wax on them.

The longest lasting, most durable sealant I have ever used is Finish Kare 1000p High Temp Wax. Before you say something about the name, let me explain. Finish Kare is a company started by Fred Meguiar, who chose to compete with his family's business, "Meguiar's." 1000p is a full synthetic sealant originally designed as a mold release agent. Industry references "mold release waxes," not synthetic sealants so it was named a wax. (Virtually all car waxes are really synthetic sealants. Non-car people look for wax, not sealant. )

It has exceptional durability in both hot and cold conditions.

I clean my custom wheels with a hand held steam cleaner. It's easy and works really well. You can pick one up at a department store for around $30. These are the units you see advertised on TV for household cleaning.

Coat your wheels with 1000p and clean them as often as you can - in a friend's garage if you have to - and reapply 1000p twice a month.

I have also heard of applying plastic coat to wheels for winter. It's durable and the rubbery thick coating protects against nicks and scratches. It is easy to peel off, too.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:57 PM
drunkyoda
2nd Gear Member

or you could plastidip them for winter and peel it off in the summer.

just beware it may be hard to get off if you dont put enough on.

i personally hate the stuff because i put too little and had a terrible time getting it off.