General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

IM NEW TO THIS PLEASE BE EASY ON ME

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

My answer will always be check american muscle first. They literally have everything.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:06 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

Don't ask Waffles I'm the self proclaimed V6 Schmuck. First, are you sure you're going to keep it? I thought I was too, spent big, then just traded for a 2013 GT/SC. At least I can give you some knowledge of my mistakes and other mistakes.

First you have a v6 4.0 liter engine, the cams are chain driven from front driver side rear passenger side. Get it? it's stupid and fiddling with cams is dangerous as in walking till you can strip the whole engine to recover a dropped chain. Other then that it's a hoot to drive if you mod it right.

1. Make it stealth, focus on performance mods. Better to be much faster then you look then look fast and be a slow ***.

2. Your compression is 11:1 so Force Induction F/I Super Chargers and Nitrous are fun like a fat man on crack but not long lived.

3. It'll be light, nimble and pass every GT at the gas station but it will never get V8 power.

What did my V6 have:

Suspension - Eirbach springs, struts, anti-sway bars (matched is better) stock shocks + lower springs might not work well together. BMR adjustable Lower Control Arms (LCA)
UCA you guessed it Upper adjustable (adjustable is good for alignments especially if you ever get a straight driveshaft). BMR adjustable pan-hard bar so you can center your rear axil which is important when lowered and with wider tires. I also had Steada Bump Steer and ball joints and Cam Bolts to level out the lowered tires. Camber Plates$ don't need em. Put the strut brace across the top of the motor and don't forget the K-member bar under the trans = stiffer circle of rigidity. I'm trying to do this within a sane budget so put together what you can but peripheral systems first, engine later.

Engine - I know but I cheat - Bullet Cold Air Induction (CAI) from Ford Racing (FR), widest intake tube 85mm filter in a sealed tub so hot engine bay air will not rob hp, but it will require a tune; SCT 93 Octane tune with a BBK 70mm Throttle Body (TB). Most will chid BBK but it's a v6, chill you don't need a FR and it would cost $500 if they made one. Don't buy the TB expansion plate - Paper weight, will screw-up the beautiful harmony of the CAI/70mmTB/93Tune and next exhaust.

Exhaust - If you got the money Long Tubes (LT); High flow Cats; MAC Pro Box H-pipe (will make your v6 sound like a v8, x-pipe is a raspy b***h machine, your choice; Most likely you'll get shorty headers(ceramic$$$ because they remove heat out not radiate it into the engine bay. Heat robs performance i.e. super coolers. Good mufflers, cheap sounds cheap, any one of three FR mufflers should be your choice; GT-500 $300, Axil back Sports $700 twin pipe Shelby $1200. I'd go $700, they make the sound of a much more expensive engine. Tips are very important on a v6. Too big and you look like a Hillbilly with two teeth. 3" is just right. I traced my exhaust cut-out then Sharpied it on the other side and cut it-out with a serrated pocket knife. Looked good, you couldn't see any imperfection if you tried. It's plastic you can't hurt it.

Drive Train - One wheel Pee-Out, get the Posi, cheap FR Traction Loc $250? 3.73 gears in 7.5" you don't need a 8.8" for your power level - please! 3.73 is fine, 4.10 sucks fuel you got a v6 for a reason. Short throw shifter with bottom bracket.

Brakes - Steel braided lines; Ceramic brake shoes but first get the GT Up-grade kit from American Muscle. It's a larger front disk and brackets, you won't even have to bleed the brakes to put this on.

Done - Maybe better plugs pretty color wires a better coil and you got a stiff, flat, responsive pretty quick long road-trip car without pump shock, and it won't blow-up.

Later
Old 06-22-2013, 02:17 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

But as always, everyone will say after all the cost of modding you could buy a GT. But my soul shrivels a little with every frequent fill-up. If your kid ran a 1/4 mile in 14 sec would you shoot-em or mod-em till they could do a 13?
Old 06-22-2013, 07:10 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by INEEDMOREPOWER22
HEY GUYS IM NEW TO THIS WHOLE THING FORUMS AND PERFORMANCE ENHANCMENTS SO HERE GOES I HAVE A 2007 V6 STANG IM JUST WONDERING WHAT YOU GUYS HAVE DONE TO YOUR SIXERS IM PRETTY SURE IM GONA GO WITH A XCHARGER SOMETIME I ALSO WANT TO STOP THE 1 WHEEL PEELS BUT I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT DIFFERENCIALS AND REALLY HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT ALL THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF GEARS AND WHAT THEY DO LIKE 8.8 I SEE ALOT OF TALK ABOUT PUTTING THAT IN SORRY IM A NOOB IN THAT SENSE IF ANYONE WOULDENT MIND EXPLANING IT TO ME A BIT
I had the Xcharger Xtreme on my 2006 - loved that, and put my convertible into the 12's with no problems. Even with 203,000 miles on it when I sold it, it was still running mid 12's. The new owner has been to the track several times already this year, and with 212,000 on it is running low 13's on street tires.

Don't try to build the 7.5, just swap for the 8.8. It was the worst modding decision I ever made and when I broke the 7.5 (tlok, 3.73's, LPW girdle) with just a tune and drag radials it cost me less to swap the 8.8 on to the car than it cost to try to build the 7.5.

With the power of forced induction you will want the 8.8. The 7.5 with open differential won't let you get the power to the ground, and you will eventually break the 7.5 - save your money and just do the swap and be done. With the Xcharger you really don't want more than 3.55's - you can go up to 3.73 but traction starts to become an issue with the low end torque of the Xcharger.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:16 PM
INEEDMOREPOWER22

wow guys I dident think I would get all the info I was looking for but dang there it is thanks a lot I appreciate it
now another quick question if I could get my hands on a 2007 Shelby rear end with axels breaks all the goodies on it for 1000 would it be worth it and will it all bolt up?
Old 06-23-2013, 07:17 PM
INEEDMOREPOWER22

and yes I will be keeping it cant afford to sell it and get a gt model
Old 06-23-2013, 07:20 PM
INEEDMOREPOWER22

oh yah I almost forgot to ask ist it worth it to get functioning ram air hood that works with the cold air box?
Old 06-23-2013, 07:38 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

Type American Muscle, look at Drive Train, Barton short throw shifter with bottom bracket. Maybe $2-300 USD.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

My opinion don't go for ram air. Yes it'll look cool but just put a good cai and that's all ya need for me the marginal power gain is not worth the extra $. But this is your car man. Do what you want
Old 06-23-2013, 10:15 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

Listen to me you lemmings: Ford Racing CAI for the V6 with 85mm piping The same one used on the Bullet car only for a V6 round TB, not the GT which is oval. It has a sealed tub with gasketxs that blocks out engine bay hot air from entering the filter. The unit attaches to a lip over the radiator to bring cool air from outside and it requires a tune (that means it's doing something). It's also the power pack CAI if you get any of the Power pack sets from Ford Racing.

Quick Reply: IM NEW TO THIS PLEASE BE EASY ON ME