General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

victim of dishonest mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:02 PM
BadPony86

Default victim of dishonest mechanics

I recently had my tires balanced and rotated at a Big O Tires. I have been having some horrible grinding noise in my left front tire upon braking for about two weeks now. My first inclination were bad brakes. I had the Big O tech check my brakes and he said everything looked fine and he suspected a bad wheel bearing. So I bought the wheel hub assembly and took it to a Ford dealership to be installed. Got the part installed and Ford said, no, the grinding are your brakes. Your front left is metal on rotor..... So great. Thanks Big O. Just spent $150 I didn't need to. Ford is telling me my rotor is gone and needs to be replaced, however, my rotor looks completely fine - no cracking, pits, grooves, rust, etc. It's smooth with no lip. I've decided to replace the pads on my front brakes myself. I've only had to replace my rear brakes and used Ford pads. I'm looking at either a duralast brand from autozone or a BrakeBest brand from O-Reilly. I haven't been able to find any good information on which pad would be best.

Duralast Gold cmax or BrakeBest® Brakes Select™ Ceramic

Which one would be better???
Old 09-10-2013, 10:05 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

If you are going to mess with the brakes at least get quality parts.
Quality parts do not come from either of those places you mention.
Go to NAPA or maybe even a Ford dealer and get the parts.
BTW, did you mic the thickness of that brake rotor to see what it was?
There is a minimum thickness for them......
Old 09-11-2013, 01:53 AM
BadPony86

I will check out NAPA for parts. I haven't done a mic for the thickness yet. But I was planning before I installed the brake pads. I know there is a min thickness.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:05 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

+1 on NAPA parts, I even use their Gold Full Synthetic Oil. It's made by Valvoline. Their oil fliters are made by Wix.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:50 AM
4154Bobby
1st Gear Member

Only thing I can say about the duralast brand for autozone is that they the same brakes that pads that nascar uses!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:35 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I'd really want to see something in writing or in fact to back-up that claim about Dura-last brake pads......
Old 09-12-2013, 05:16 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

There called duralast cause dura last about 6 months before dura grinding again and dura be repeating the process of changing pads .

I promise you nobody racing a nascar hops on down to autozone for brake pads .

While I do know duralast is the official brake pad of nascar , they are specialized pads , they are not the 20 dollar special at autozone.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:39 PM
4154Bobby
1st Gear Member

I know the $20 pads are junk but I used to be a manager at a auto zone back east and we had to go to classes telling use about all duralast brake pads and was shown video of them using them,but any way you go no matter to me I don't work there anymore and it your choice good luck!
Old 09-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Chazman_1962
2nd Gear Member

HMMM I've never seen a nascar team picking up brake pads at the local parts store, kinda like i've never seen one of there cars at a car dealer that we could buy, Come on people DON'T believe the hype
Old 09-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

Make sure its not your dust shield behind disk! Sometimes people will bend them a little. Just a tip Since you say disc is fine.

Quick Reply: victim of dishonest mechanics