General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is there a big difference between coupe and conv?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 07:02 PM
BaltRavens
2nd Gear Member

Default Is there a big difference between coupe and conv?

I am looking at a 2000 GT 5spd 80k miles. Its pretty sharp car for $5,000. It seems like its a great deal but its a conv. I have never owned a conv. car. The only one I have ever rode in was a 04 Cobra and I don't think conv. matters in terms of performance with a termi.

I keep hearing the war stories that conv. cars don't run as good as coupes... not sure. So can you tell a difference when driving a conv. compared to a coupe?
Old 09-19-2013, 08:42 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Never weighed them but I see no big difference when riding in friends coupes. I would say the difference is when it rains, you will get wet if you fail to get the top up in time.

If you are going for all out performance, a coupe would be better for track use in my opinion.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:53 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

The main difference that you’ll actually notice is the top. Seriously. :-)
  • Snow. If your area gets a lot of snow the convertible top could cave in if too much snow gets on it.
  • Hail. The top won’t be able to withstand a good hail storm like a hard top would.
  • Wind noise. A convertible, even with the top up, has a lot more wind noise while driving.
  • Sagging. The top is fabric. So over a long time it will sag
  • Car washes. I wouldn’t recommend taking a convertible into a car wash. Those heavy curtains of wet, soapy cloth get really heavy and can damage the top.
  • Window alignment. I don’t know if this is normal, but I am having a hell of a time with the windows aligning on my wifey’s mustang's top. It needs new door pins so that might be contributing. But it is still a never ending source of frustration for me.
  • Security. Any douche with a knife can easily slice and dice the top and get into your car. Yeah, they could break a window on a hard top too, but a window is ALOT cheaper to replace and easier to install then a ‘vert top.

My wifey’s mustang is a ‘vert. Its a great car, especially after all the work I’ve done to it, but I hate the top. Its the first convertible I’ve ever owned. I didn’t buy it, t married into it. When/if we get a new car for her someday I’ll be pushing for a hard top. But thats just me...
Old 09-20-2013, 06:05 AM
BaltRavens
2nd Gear Member

Everything on that list contains to me. My area gets 2ft snows in the winter sometimes... hail storms, I don't like wind noise at all, and I use car washes often. lol. Only thing I wouldn't worry about is being broke into my cars never have anything inside worth value.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:40 AM
All4One
3rd Gear Member

Petrock described the negatives perfectly. However I consider it all worth it every time I drop the top on a warm sunny day.

Last edited by All4One; 09-23-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:55 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by petrock
The main difference that you’ll actually notice is the top. Seriously. :-)
  • Snow. If your area gets a lot of snow the convertible top could cave in if too much snow gets on it.
  • Hail. The top won’t be able to withstand a good hail storm like a hard top would.
  • Wind noise. A convertible, even with the top up, has a lot more wind noise while driving.
  • Sagging. The top is fabric. So over a long time it will sag
  • Car washes. I wouldn’t recommend taking a convertible into a car wash. Those heavy curtains of wet, soapy cloth get really heavy and can damage the top.
  • Window alignment. I don’t know if this is normal, but I am having a hell of a time with the windows aligning on my wifey’s mustang's top. It needs new door pins so that might be contributing. But it is still a never ending source of frustration for me.
  • Security. Any douche with a knife can easily slice and dice the top and get into your car. Yeah, they could break a window on a hard top too, but a window is ALOT cheaper to replace and easier to install then a ‘vert top.
This list is a little skewed imho, and misses the most important differences.
  • Snow. Collapse from snow? How much would that take 2'? 3'? I've had my 'vert through several New England blizzards with up to 18" of snow on it. No collapse. No damage whatsoever. In my entire life in New England, the only convertible top I ever saw that failed due to snow was one that was ALREADY badly torn, and improperly "repaired" with duct tape.
  • Hail. I've been in a hail storm in a 'vert (not my current one thankfully) golf ball sized hail made a mess of the hood and trunk. The top due to it's "give" just shrugged it off. Sure, baseball sized hail might damage a top, but what would that do to a steel roof?
  • Wind noise. Depends on the design. With older models generally true. Newer models with full headliners, little to no difference
  • Sagging. Modern tops are not fabric. They are either vinyl or or a fabric outer shell bonded to a rubber or synthetic waterproof backing. Sagging is largely a non-issue with current top materials.
  • Car washes. If there are any modern manufacturers which state their convertibles cant withstand an automated wash, I haven't come across them. I don't personally do regular automated washes because I care about my paint, not because of any fear for the top. I've been through a couple in "emergency" cases, without incident, and know folks who take 'verts through regularly, without problems.
  • Window alignment. Window alignment on a 'vert is no different that a hardtop with the components in good repair. If the hinges, window mechanism, weather seals, etc are worn out, of course there will be issues.
  • Security. Most sliced tops I've come across were cases of vandalism, not theft. 'vert or hardtop, if someone wants to do a "smash n' grab" of interior contents, a window is still easier.

Now more things to be aware of, the first two being the most important considerations in my book:
  • Wear. A convertible top is a wear item like brakes or tires. Depending on how you use it, it will need to be replaced sooner or later. up/down cycles and sun exposure will shorten lifespan, and proper cleaning and application of a suitable protectant will extend it. Figure 7-10yrs as a good rule of thumb for a top that isn't abused.
  • Frame stiffness. Most 'verts due to their structural nature have a less rigid chassis than an equivalent hardtop. Depending on the model/year, this ranges from minimal to quite noticable. Newer designs tend to be much better in this regard.
  • Rollovers. A hardtop will provide better protection should such an event occur. Thankfully they are uncommon. A 'vert can be set up with a roll bar/roll cage (which will also benefit chassis stiffness).

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 09-21-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

I am on my third convertible Mustang now. I think the only important matters would relate to track-ability. Differences in chassis stiffness and roll safety and all that would matter most on the track. If you're not looking to race this thing, I don't think anything is really going to matter enough to worry about. Possibly the accumulation of snow if you park outside and get that much snow.

But the rest doesn't matter when compared to how much fun it is to drive with the top down. The noise when the top is up is irrelevant. But it gets better with every generation of convertible as well. It's not really all that bad on the New Edge models, compared to other prior models.

As for water, I admit I've driven through some car washes over the years, and sure sometimes some water seeps in. And more rarely, sometimes water seeps in just in the rain. But not enough that I've ever considered it a problem.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:25 PM
ym42
2nd Gear Member

I have a 06GT vert with 140k miles, and the only annoying thing is that it is much louder on highway rides due to a wind-noise at speed - the sound insulation is much worse, but you get used to it. It also has somewhat less space inside for the rear passenger legs, and its colder in a winter, especially on short trips when the heater is not fully warmed up.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:55 AM
BaltRavens
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by All4One
Petrock described the negatives perfectly. However I consider it all worth it every time I drop the top on a warm sunny day.
Yes I agree! lol. Why I want it nice 75-80 degree evening, put down the top go for a cruise.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:42 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Snow. Collapse from snow? How much would that take 2'? 3’?
I grew up in north Jersey and went to college in upstate NY. 2’ snow storms were the norm in upstate NY. Its even worse the further north you go. I saw multiple ‘verts with collapsed roofs while in school. Mostly from out of state students who didn’t know to clear the snow off the roof after the storm. There is a reason you don’t see a lot of ‘certs in upstate NY, Alaska, Vermont, Maine and other places that get a lot of snow fall each year.

Wind noise. Depends on the design. With older models generally true. Newer models with full headliners, little to no difference
My wifey’s ’98 ‘vert has a full headliner and the wind noise is quite noticeable with the top up.

Sagging. Modern tops are not fabric. They are either vinyl or or a fabric outer shell bonded to a rubber or synthetic waterproof backing. Sagging is largely a non-issue with current top materials.
Its still an issue with vinyl tops. Over time UV rays and lots of hot/cold cycles will break down the vinyl. When the top is up it is being pulled tight by the top’s frame. When the top starts to break down it will start to stretch which results in sagging.

Car washes. If there are any modern manufacturers which state their convertibles cant withstand an automated wash, I haven't come across them. I don't personally do regular automated washes because I care about my paint, not because of any fear for the top. I've been through a couple in "emergency" cases, without incident, and know folks who take 'verts through regularly, without problems.
This came from a recommendation from the ‘vert top shop that installed a new top on my wifey’s ride a few years back. They said to avoid them if at all possible.

Security. Most sliced tops I've come across were cases of vandalism, not theft. 'vert or hardtop, if someone wants to do a "smash n' grab" of interior contents, a window is still easier.
My experience is the opposite. Smashing a window makes noise which draws attention. Slicing a top is a lot easier and more importantly a lot quieter when you want to get the contents of a car.

Wear. A convertible top is a wear item like brakes or tires. Depending on how you use it, it will need to be replaced sooner or later. up/down cycles and sun exposure will shorten lifespan, and proper cleaning and application of a suitable protectant will extend it. Figure 7-10yrs as a good rule of thumb for a top that isn't abused.
Agreed.

Frame stiffness. Most 'verts due to their structural nature have a less rigid chassis than an equivalent hardtop. Depending on the model/year, this ranges from minimal to quite noticable. Newer designs tend to be much better in this regard.
‘verts tend to have much stiffer chassis to make up for the lack of a roof, which is also why ‘verts tend to weigh more then hard tops. At least thats true on high end ‘verts. I assumed the same was true on mustangs.

Rollovers. A hardtop will provide better protection should such an event occur. Thankfully they are uncommon. A 'vert can be set up with a roll bar/roll cage (which will also benefit chassis stiffness).
Agreed. With a ‘vert the frame for the windshield is greatly stiffened so it can act as a roll care. But its still not as good as a coupe’s built in roll cage.

BaltRavens, it boils down to your personal preference and where you live. If you don’t see a lot of ‘verts in your area there may be a reason.

Quick Reply: Is there a big difference between coupe and conv?