Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > General Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by NewTakeOff

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 10-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 mustang gt
Kevin Lay kevilay
Default Wiring diagram Question

Hey guys, im a huge fan of these forums and have gotten so much help on here in the past. Wondering if someone might be able to help me out with a non mustang related issue. I run a fwd circle track racing series, and recently bought a new engine and harness for my car and its turning into a real nightmare. I race again in 9 days. Does anyone know where I can find a complete car wiring diagram or schematic for an 02 jetta with vr6 motor. I would really appreciate it.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 10-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
petrock
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: '98 3.8L Mustang Convertible

www.alldatadiy.com

Good luck...
Old 10-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Kevin Lay kevilay

Sir, I would like to shake your hand. I got the manual and so far its pretty good. I notice they lack in some areas as they show + and - both running to starter. Dont mention about how the solenoid hooks up.... hmmm... I'm sure I can figure that out.

Thanks again
Old 10-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
petrock
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevilay View Post
Sir, I would like to shake your hand. I got the manual and so far its pretty good. I notice they lack in some areas as they show + and - both running to starter. Dont mention about how the solenoid hooks up.... hmmm... I'm sure I can figure that out
Is there a dotted line around the starter? If so, then that means that it is only showing part of the circuit. There is probably another diagram that shows the rest of it. Possibly part of the ignition circuit (which is what the solenoid hooks up to).

I donít know about your ride, but on my wifeyís '98 3.8L the negative battery cable goes straight to the starter and the positive cable goes to the fuse box and then straight to the starter.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Kevin Lay kevilay

There is like 14 main electrical diagrams, only one with the starter in it. But I noticed if I go to the index there is one of the ignition circuit where it shows the multiple connections to the solenoid. Its weird in the main diagram there is no signal of this. Guess Im learning as I go :P

I got a technical question. My transmission that im using is not the one that came with this harness or motor, its from a previous gen, but still bolts up. It is an auto. What are the wire connectors for on an auto? I literally use the manual selection of first and second gear and thats it. All the wiring for the tranny is different, which is why I am asking about it.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 10-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #6
petrock
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Its weird in the main diagram there is no signal of this. Guess Im learning as I go :P
There probably is some hint that you didnít recognize as the hint. Dotted lined boxes are a good indication that the diagram is not showing the complete circuit and that youíll need to look elsewhere for the rest of it.

Quote:
I got a technical question. My transmission that im using is not the one that came with this harness or motor, its from a previous gen, but still bolts up. It is an auto. What are the wire connectors for on an auto? I literally use the manual selection of first and second gear and thats it. All the wiring for the tranny is different, which is why I am asking about it.
If the tranny bolted up with no modification to the wiring harness, tranny electrical components or computer then you should be fine with the diagrams for your car. However, if there was any electrical modifications to make the tranny work, then it can be a PITA to follow the diagrams (especially if you donít know what electrical mods were made). In that case youíll have to do the diagram conversions yourself between the diagrams for your car and the diagrams for the year car your tranny came out of. Thankfully there are not that many sensors or other electrical components in an auto-transmission. So it shouldnít be too hard to figure out.

Good luck...
Old 10-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Kevin Lay kevilay

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrock View Post
There probably is some hint that you didnít recognize as the hint. Dotted lined boxes are a good indication that the diagram is not showing the complete circuit and that youíll need to look elsewhere for the rest of it.

If the tranny bolted up with no modification to the wiring harness, tranny electrical components or computer then you should be fine with the diagrams for your car. However, if there was any electrical modifications to make the tranny work, then it can be a PITA to follow the diagrams (especially if you donít know what electrical mods were made). In that case youíll have to do the diagram conversions yourself between the diagrams for your car and the diagrams for the year car your tranny came out of. Thankfully there are not that many sensors or other electrical components in an auto-transmission. So it shouldnít be too hard to figure out.

Good luck...
Thanks for your response. The harness right now is stock for a 02 jetta auto. So it just doesnt have the same connectors as my mk3 97 passat auto transmission so I just need to figure out how to mate the connectors. What are the electronics in the transmission for?
Old 10-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #8
petrock
4th Gear Member

Quote:
What are the electronics in the transmission for?
Most auto-transmissions work primarily off of hydraulic pressure to change gears and lubricate components etc. Iím not familiar with the tranny your working with, but most likely the electronics on the tranny are sensors that tell the computer the state of the tranny. Like measuring speed, detecting what gear its in etc and are usually accessible from the outside of the tranny. Good luck...
Old 10-26-2013, 12:07 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement