General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Looking at getting a mustang, need some opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 08:03 AM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Default Looking at getting a mustang, need some opinions.

Hey everyone, so I posted this in the new member section and people told me to come post here so that is what I'm doing lol. So currently I own a 2006 Monte Carlo SS. It's a nice ride, looks good, and has some power. However I'm tired of FWD and ready to get back into a RWD car. I've been thinking about going with an 2005-2006 GTO, 2006ish Charger SRT8, or a Mustang. I've always liked the mustang but I've always been turned off by them due to there being a lot of them out there. However as time has gone on I've cared less and less about that. As far as what year Mustang I'm looking at, I'm not to sure to be honest. I would like to have a GT. So that kind of crosses out a new one because I don't really have the money. So I'm thinking 2000-2006, or some where in that ballpark. I just wanted some opinions, with the Monte Carlo the big downside is the transmision. It's hands down the biggest weak point. It also is impossible to get a quiet power steering pump. It's a nice car but was not designed properly. Does any mustang in the years I provided have any big issues? Also, this would only be my 3rd car, first 2 cars (thunderbird, Monte Carlo) were both automatic. I would like to get into a manual, I've driven one a few times but you could still consider me a "noob". How is the Mustang as far as the manual goes? is it pretty easy to pick up on? I know some cars like the new Camaros have a super tight clutch and aren't really all that forgiving. Anything else I should know about the Mustang? Thanks for any help guys and gals. I appreciate it.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:18 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Hello from Colorado. I love my 05.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:59 AM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

In my opinion, I always think its a bad idea to learn to drive a manual or still be in the learning stages behind the wheel of such vehicles.

These cars have quite a bit of power and a new/inexperienced driver can easily lose control or not know how to react quickly enough to re-gain control in the unlikely event that happens. Traction control or not, things can go wrong at any time and statistics dont lie... (the second you stop respecting the power, is the second that bad things can happen)

That aside, I love my 2008 GT! Needs some tuning to address some throttle response issues, but its an amazing car!

However, to answer your question; The clutch depends on the trim level you buy, mileage, etc. The clutch on my GT is a bit stiff as it is an ACT aftermarket clutch. Seat time will cure the woes and worries of clutch forgiveness. It sounds to me like you should get some seat time and polish your driving skills.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:51 PM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by johnny_raincloud
In my opinion, I always think its a bad idea to learn to drive a manual or still be in the learning stages behind the wheel of such vehicles.

These cars have quite a bit of power and a new/inexperienced driver can easily lose control or not know how to react quickly enough to re-gain control in the unlikely event that happens. Traction control or not, things can go wrong at any time and statistics dont lie... (the second you stop respecting the power, is the second that bad things can happen)

That aside, I love my 2008 GT! Needs some tuning to address some throttle response issues, but its an amazing car!

However, to answer your question; The clutch depends on the trim level you buy, mileage, etc. The clutch on my GT is a bit stiff as it is an ACT aftermarket clutch. Seat time will cure the woes and worries of clutch forgiveness. It sounds to me like you should get some seat time and polish your driving skills.
Thanks I appreciate it. Honestly as much as I would like to have a stick, it really wouldn't be all that practical for me. I do like 98% city driving where it's nothing but stop and go traffic. So as much as I want it, I think I would get tired of a stick after a while. How is the auto in the mustangs? Is the trans pretty solid?
Old 11-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Steve@Tasca
Former Sponsor

All the Mustang transmissions are very solid, some have had some complaints about the six speed in the 2011+ 5.0 cars but that tends to be more of the drag racing crowd.

Assuming it suits your budget and power goals I'd say the 2005-2009 cars will be the best bang for your buck, the 2010 has the newer body but still has the three valve 4.6 so if you like the new body that would be the cheapest way in.

These modern Mustangs really are tremendous cars.

-Steve
Old 11-14-2013, 02:54 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

I don't know how the 4.6 is with a manual but my 2013 has a heavy clutch. Who cares that there is a lot of them.. .there is a reason for that they are an iconic car. Consider this they cost twice as much overseas cause they are rare imports over there.