General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

When do these cars start running into issues?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 08:26 AM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Default When do these cars start running into issues?

Hey everyone so I have been looking at some mustangs GT's as well as a few Cobra's. But it seems like most mustangs in the my price range have nearly 100k miles on them or more. I found a really cool Cobra R kit car in my price range that is supercharged and has 117k miles. My question is when do these cars normally start running into issues mileage wise? I know it really depends on how the car was taken car of. But for example with my 2006 Monte Carlo SS it's really common for the trans to go out around the 80k mark regardless of how it was taken car of. It's just one of those things that is always in the back of my mind. Is there anything like that issue wise? and also how is it to maintain these cars or repair something if something were to go wrong. I have also been looking at some GTO's up until I found out that if you get into a little fender bender the insurance company will total your car 9 times out of 10 just due to body parts being so hard to come by. I know that is probably not the case with the mustang due to there being so many of them on the road. Also how is insurance on these cars price wise. I haven't really checked yet, I'm just trying to get some Ideas. If I went with a GTO I would go from about $120 a month up to almost $200 a month. I'm just trying to do all my research before I go jump into a car. I jumped into my Monte without really knowing anything about it and knowing what I know about them now I wouldn't have gotten it. So I'm not going to make that mistake again lol. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:01 PM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Well I have been over on an SVT performance forum and I think though it would be cool to have a Cobra, I think I'm going to stick to looking at GT's. They should give a good enough platform to mod without being crazy like the Cobras can be. Also it sounds like the Cobras can be pretty pricey to maintain.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:02 AM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle life is a reflection of the owner!

If you take care of the car and maintain it properly, the odds of major issues are minimal. However, maintenance does cost money. If you are savvy with tools and have some good knowledge of cars, this can save you a bit of money.

As far as insurance goes, you need to talk to your agent! It sounds to me like you are still pretty young based on the way you form your questions and the questions you are asking. As far as your remark about insurance companies totaling a vehicle from a minor fender bender, that is quite the opposite. Totaling out a vehicle will not happen unless there is severe frame damage, or the cost of repair exceeds 60% of the vehicles fair market value!
Old 11-26-2013, 11:18 AM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by johnny_raincloud
Vehicle life is a reflection of the owner!

If you take care of the car and maintain it properly, the odds of major issues are minimal. However, maintenance does cost money. If you are savvy with tools and have some good knowledge of cars, this can save you a bit of money.

As far as insurance goes, you need to talk to your agent! It sounds to me like you are still pretty young based on the way you form your questions and the questions you are asking. As far as your remark about insurance companies totaling a vehicle from a minor fender bender, that is quite the opposite. Totaling out a vehicle will not happen unless there is severe frame damage, or the cost of repair exceeds 60% of the vehicles fair market value!
yea, i'm only 20 going on 21 so I'm still pretty young and fairly new to this. I am pretty savvy with tools though so any issues that come up I'm pretty confident I can fix them. I was more so talking about just the GTO. If you talk to any of the GTO guys on the GTO forums because it was limited production and pontiac is gone, body parts are near impossible to come by. And they say insurance companies will total them because of that. I'm sure it's much different with Mustangs being that there are a ton of them on the road and ford is still around to get parts from.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:25 PM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

You are going to have some pretty high insurance premiums!
Old 11-26-2013, 07:26 PM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by johnny_raincloud
You are going to have some pretty high insurance premiums!
I thought I was going to. But I actually checked, and for a GT I will pay less then I do now on my Monte. On a cobra I will pay more then I do now. But less then if I got a GTO or a Charger SRT 8 by almost $40