General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 5.0 Auto into a 1969 Ford LTD

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:05 PM
jkgt

Default 2012 5.0 Auto into a 1969 Ford LTD

HELLO ALL...
I am currently restoring my 1969 LTD.* I had a local shop that was going to restore the car with my help.* We ordered the motor and the 6spd auto trans from a wrecked mustang and started tearing apart the car.* We got the front end rebuilt, the rear axle done and all the brakes done.* We now started to place the motor in and one of the techs came up to me and told me we were going to have problems using this transmission.* I brought it up to the owner and he told me he was hoping Ford would find a fix for the problem, but they have not come up with a solution yet.* I know the basics on how motors and transmissions work but do not understand the problem.* We have the complete motor and transmission out of the wrecked car.* The motor and trans only had 11k miles and the wrecked car was running and would drive before the motor was pulled.* I have all the wiring for the motor and trans as well.* I was told that the transmission will not shift and the motor with the transmission attached and in the wiring harness will not even start.* I was not very happy upon hearing this news and asked what the next step.* I want to use this motor and trans setup not only because I have a lot of money in it, but because I think it would be a great setup.* Basicily I could sell the auto 6 spd trans and put in a 4 spd auto trans and redo the ECU and wiring harness or wait and see when Ford comes out with a fix.* I am trying to be proactive and find a solution before we get to that point.* *

I am asking for any advise.* I have always had great luck when running into a problem, to go to forums for advise.* This is my first time on this forum, but I am sure there are very knowledge people that know what I need to do.* Thank all of you for your help.* I am stuck in a really bad spot and appreciate all the help more than you know.* *

Joe
Old 12-03-2013, 08:50 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

What year mustang did the motor and trans come out of?

I cant see a problem getting it to start or shift if you have the computer and all the wiring for it all.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:57 AM
jkgt

It all came out of a 2012 mustang 5.0. I am on the same train of thought as you. If we have everything why are we having an issue. I have everything for the car.

joe
Old 12-04-2013, 12:54 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

If you have the pcm and all the harness, the only thing that would prevent ignition is the ford pats security crap.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

so does the car turn over? does it have spark, does it have fuel?

Was this stuff test run before it was dropped into the car? at this point it's really hard to say. Those cars have a security system that if the key is not paired with the PCM the car won't do squat.

My bad, just realized this is an automatic. If it won't shift while off, it's probably because the automatic safety lockout switch is engaged meaning that until the circuit gets opened, the tranny won't shift out of Park. There an emergency bypass on the console shifter but if this is a transplant, I doubt the bypass is installed.

In a normal auto mustang, this switch gets opened when you put your foot on the brake. It tells the tranny it's safe to go into gear and that the car won't move unexpectedly.

Also, with an auto, if the PCM is incorrect, the car won't start. You need to take the Serial number or PCM Code to a dealership and have them see if it's compatible with your engine and tranny. Wiring harness alone is useless if the PCM isn't matched to your engine/tranny combo.

Last edited by Derf00; 12-04-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:16 PM
jkgt

Thanks Derf and everyone for the help.

The motor was running (and the car would drive) when it was removed from the car. The 2012 mustang hit a pole on the passenger side hard. Pushed the door almost into the center console, but nothing into the engine compartment. The car was owned by the owner of a dealership. I bought the motor, trans, ecu, the main wiring harness (it runs from the engine to the front of the transmission and to the ECU), throttle pedal, driveshaft all from the same car. I do have the ignition or key, but am working on getting it now. I watch a lot of "fix up your car" shows and always wondered why the use the stock motor, but not the auto trans. I then was reading an old issue of hot rod magazine (July 2013) and they said that the trans and motor will not talk to each other without all of the sensors and dash cluster. I know the shop has not tried starting the motor as we are just at the mounting phase. (not worried about the motor running; only worried about the transmission either: a) not letting the motor run and/or b)not shifting or operating properly. I have talked to 20-30 shops. About half say, all you have to do is re do the wiring harness and tune the ecu. The other half says that the transmission is going to have to be removed and a standard 4spd used instead.
The 6spd is not much bigger than a standard 4spd so we have decided to mount the motor and trans and once it is all in fire and test run the car. HOPEFULLY... If not we will be in a monster jam. That is why I am on here. It seems like a no brainer. Stock motor, Stock trans, Stock ECU, Stock wiring. Should be slap it in and rock out, but I keep hearing and reading the opposite from people. I just want some one who knows more than me and deals with this type of motor/trans to tell me I will be ok or if I need to start thinking of other solutions. So far the juror is split...

What are your thoughts?

I see that there are 4 additional "plugs" on the top side of the transmission. I assume one is for the speedo; what are the other 4 for? I do not have the wiring harness that plugs into those 4 plugs on top of the transmission. Just the main harness that comes out of the top front of the transmission and the engine to the ECU.

Thanks again for the help.

Joe